Computer Randomly shuts off ingame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I got into my bios menu and just changed the setting for what to do when there is a power failure, nothing big. But as soon as I hit save changes my computer did the dumb shut off thing. In game when it happens it doesn't lock up it just shuts my computer off as quick as pulling a power cord. and I didn't see a cpu shut down temp in the bios menu.

Soiunds board related if the battery simply doesn't need replacing or a bios update would fix a problem. Bad caps will cause problems like that. Look over the board carefully just to see if any caps are starting to bulge out or are leaking on you there. Also check for any discoloration on the board itself.

Let's see if one thing at a time can be ruled out if the board isn't in need of being replaced.

How do I check to see if my bios need updating and if they do where do I get them

When first starting a system up without any logo enabled like HP, Dell, or the board manufacturer's own you will see bios version or verion followed by the number like 1014 for example. The support site will have the latest update will be seen along with the drivers for the board like onboard video and sound.

If the latest is a beta look at the next oldest in line to see if that is newer then the version currently on. One small free System Info for Windows(SIW) tool can also help by simply right clicking on the executable you download to create a desktop shortcut. SIW | System Information for Windows by Gabriel Topala | +1-416-733-9743

Some boards have the automatic EZ-Bios feature that will connect directly online to see the latest go on. Otherwise they usually see a Windows installer rather then the old floppy method of copying the update to the root of C as well as having a copy on the 3 1/2" disk along with a dos tool for flashing.

Those required typing the current one followed by typing "ren" and then the exact number of the newer version to see a good flash. The user manual for the board has a section to refer to for the best guide there however. The WinFlash method is quick and easy if that's the option there once the file is downloaded to the drive.

First know the exact make and model of the board to reach the correct support page however. Different models will see different bioses like Award, AMI, or another depending on the chipset at times. A board company will usually see things in different catagories like driver sets, user manual, bios, and other things with an option to list all on one page depending on whether the board is an Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, eVGA, or another manufacturer.

I'm having the same exact problem. The computer runs fine unless I run a somewhat graphic intensive game, in which case it randomly shuts off. Just to be clear, like the OP said, I'm not talking about a freeze or a crash... I'm talking about an immediate shutdown, as if the power was cut from the system.

Before doing a whole lot of research on the subject, I replaced all my fans and cpu heatsink hoping that would fix the issue... no such luck. They all needed replacing anyway though. Nothing was changed that may have caused the issue to start happening, so I'm not sure what's going on.

When it shuts down, nothing feels hot in my computer except the graphics card. I'm running a fairly old card, a GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, is it possible that if the GPU overheats it would cause a system shutdown? Maybe I need to keep that cooler?

What can unupdated bios do to a computer? Like what are the effects.

If the bios programming has become corrupted or some information is lost a good number of odd occurences like unexpected restarts or problems even starting the system up or problems detecting drives becomes evident. The same problems can also be caused on a system a year or so old and especially even older when the battery on the board itself grows weak and needs replacement.

On older build here the board ate batteries for breakfast in a sense where suddenly one day the system refused to start up if the fsb in the bios was set to 200mhz and had to be lowered to 166mhz to see it run. The newer replacement battery then in was worn fast and a little over a year later when a fresh battery went in the system suddenly ran like brand new!

I'm having the same exact problem. The computer runs fine unless I run a somewhat graphic intensive game, in which case it randomly shuts off. Just to be clear, like the OP said, I'm not talking about a freeze or a crash... I'm talking about an immediate shutdown, as if the power was cut from the system.

Before doing a whole lot of research on the subject, I replaced all my fans and cpu heatsink hoping that would fix the issue... no such luck. They all needed replacing anyway though. Nothing was changed that may have caused the issue to start happening, so I'm not sure what's going on.

When it shuts down, nothing feels hot in my computer except the graphics card. I'm running a fairly old card, a GeForce FX 5950 Ultra, is it possible that if the GPU overheats it would cause a system shutdown? Maybe I need to keep that cooler?

A good number of problems can be seen when a card overheats since only a few programs are available that actually show card temps without installing a separate temp sensor directly on the card itself. PC Wizard 2008 will show the card temps along with board and cpu plus core temps.

But rremember that PC Wizard like other programs is still a software that can see problems at itmes on some systems reading temps accurately and not exaggerating higher temps then actually being seen. The old free version of the Everest home edition was well known for that one!

How long have you been running the current system? With the bios being the latest that shows the latest fixes seen in that are already on if there were any found needed since that model board came out.

Without a definite temp problem like a cpu or video card overheating a poorly regulated power supply or fault being realized on the board like a bad cap are a pair of thoughts on a possible hardware problem. Once you put a good demand for power by loading up the cpu and running anything video/graphics and even sound card power demanding the draw sees the supply wimp or causes a problem on the board trying to see power distributed properly with a weak or failing component.

For a system a year or longer in use another minor item being low cost that can crap out at times is the standard lithium battery used on the board for maintaining the cmos information like time and date as well as the changes made from the factory defaults in the bios setup. Let's say you pull the battery out everytime you run a game. That would see the system stall and need to redone by re-entering time and date.

While not that bad the shutdowns point in that direction if the supply is upto speed and supplying the power needed. I had one old Socket A board chewing batteries up for breakfast in a sense while a fan on the cpu cooler quit about the same time.

It was thought that the cpu was toast from high temps seen before the next cooler went on only to find a fresh battery then allowed the memory clock on the board to be set to 200mhz and not lowered to 166mhz for a 333fsb there. Memtest reported some 578 errors on a new pair of 1gb dimms then but saw none when they went onto the next build? Board related! Bios suspect there. Yet that also had the last version available on.

This problem didn't start until after I wiped my computer's hard drives. but I did all of my updates and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom