Computer randomly shuts off

nexus20

Solid State Member
Hey guys, my computer randomly restarts sometimes it freezes and makes an extremely painful noise. It is an Acer Aspire M5811, i was hoping someone might now what is wrong or how to fix it? thank you in advance for helping.

Where does the noise come from? Did you check the event viewer? Did you recently upgrade any hardware?

hey! thank you for replying, the noise comes through my headphones but im pretty sure thats just from when im listening to something and the computer shuts down and yes i upgraded my gpu from an ATI Radeon 4350 512mb to a zotac gt 630 but the computer still shutdown with the Radeon inside

The noise you are probably hearing is just the PC freezing which if you're gaming, watching a movie, or listening to music can sometimes put a nasty noise through the headphones or speakers.

Freezing could come from any sort of random issues so it really depends on what you're doing at the time the freeze occurs.

Also extraneous information, when was the last time you've cleaned out your PC, dusted off the CPU heatsink, repasted the CPU heatsink, updated drivers, and searched for Malware/virus?

the computer is pretty dust free, and i repasted the heatsink about 2 days ago, all drivers are up to date, and have not checked for malware or viruses although the OS is a completely fresh install. The noise is just like you said caused by the freezing when im gaming or watching something

yes it has been doing this since i got the computer, someone told me repasting the heatsink would fix the problem, but it was only temporarily the computer seemed to stay on longer but it still shuts down, i have even taken the graphics card out wondering if it may be a power issue, it again has prolonged the life a little but the computer still shuts down. Maybe i need a bigger PSU?

yes it has been doing this since i got the computer, someone told me repasting the heatsink would fix the problem, but it was only temporarily the computer seemed to stay on longer but it still shuts down, i have even taken the graphics card out wondering if it may be a power issue, it again has prolonged the life a little but the computer still shuts down. Maybe i need a bigger PSU?

Do this for me please, locate 450+ watt psu to use or borrow.
Test it for 2 or 3 few days and see if the problem happens again.
If it does please note what you were doing and what time it occured.
Bring back the info you found out.
Once I know that we'll start the rma process or look into getting you a different board.

May I ask what you're specs are ?
CPU-Z provides that info if you don't know right off hand.

Hey, I located a new power supply and used it but the computer still shut off. I really hope you guys can help me, also my specs are:
Processor: Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.20 GHz
MotherBoard: Acer model H57M01, chipset: Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge
Memory: 6gb DDR3 RAM 2x2, 2x1
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 2gb
HDD: 1x250gb HDD, 1x1TB HDD
PSU: 500W peak.

Hey, I located a new power supply and used it but the computer still shut off. I really hope you guys can help me, also my specs are:
Processor: Intel Core i5 650 @ 3.20 GHz
MotherBoard: Acer model H57M01, chipset: Intel Havendale/Clarkdale Host Bridge
Memory: 6gb DDR3 RAM 2x2, 2x1
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 2gb
HDD: 1x250gb HDD, 1x1TB HDD
PSU: 500W peak.

Hmm time for a rma service request, call them tomorrow.
Tell them everything that happen state what you tried.
When they ask for the S/N uninstall the mobo look on the back should be a white label.

Acer | Contact Us

Back
Top Bottom