Computer randomly freezes, please help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Computer randomly freezes, please help

I've been having a problem with my computer for over a month now with it randomly freezing on me and I am not sure what the problem is. I am going to call it a soft freeze though. I will be working and out of nowhere any actions I am trying to perform do not happen. I can still move the mouse and the cursor moves with it. I press ctrl+alt+del and the task manager comes up, however I cannot close any tasks. I press the red X to close task manager and the task manager flashes a few times, then I press the red X again and it closes and everything is up and running like normal again.

It usually happens when I have several programs running, but they are never anything memory intensive. Usually Internet Explorer, Winamp, and Windows Explorer.

I have Avira, Malwarebytes, Zone Alarm, Antispyware(can't remember which one right now), and an Adware program all loaded onto the computer, with all of them running in the background. I ran a scan with each program in safe mode as well as defragmented and ran CCleaner. But it did not fix the problem. All of the scans came back with zero infections.

I had 2GB of ram in and thought that should be enough, but figured maybe the memory was crapping out so I installed 4GB of brand new ram. That still did not fix the problem.

I am at a loss as to what could be the issue. I am running roughly a 2Ghz AMD processor, 4GB of ram, an add-on video card (can't remember what it is), and an ECS motherboard. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Computer randomly freezes, please help

Does your HDD have enough free space on it?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have 3 hard drives in it some new, some older. Drive 1 is only a few years old, Drive 2 is probably 5 years old and drive 3 is about 1 year or so.
drive 1-partition 1= system drive, 73GB with 48GB free (65%)
Drive 1-Partion 2= drive where programs are all loaded, 75 GB with 56GB free (74%)
Drive 2=all general files are stored on this drive, no programs, some pictures but no other media 76GB with 47GB free (61%)
Drive 3=Music and videos and other media only this drive. 150GB with 33GB free (22%)
Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Does BIOS/Windows/CPU-Z show a full 4GB of RAM?