Computer Randomly Freezes - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2007, 05:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Computer Randomly Freezes

For the past week or so my computer has been freezing.... I usually leave it on all night but lately when i wake up and go on it its frozen solid. When i play games on it, it also locks, same when i run anti virus software. It pretty much locks for no reason... as i said i dont even have to be on it.

Please help me with this...

Old 10-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Computer Randomly Freezes

Old 10-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

What type of PSU are you using.
A weak or dying psu could could system instability.

Also I see that you have 1.5gb of ram, did you memtest that config, if not go to google download a program called memtest and boot off of it. Let it run for about 2-3 hours and see if any errors popup.
INTEL i7 930
3x2gb Corsair Dominators
Old 10-15-2007, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to SirCyber

is it just after the screensaver?
EVGA X58 Classified, EVGA GTX 275 CO-OP Edition, Intel Core i7 230@2.68GHz, 1080W Enermax Evolution, 6GB G-Skill DDR3@8-8-8-19

Originally Posted by Mak213
Knowledge is power. Power is nothing if it is not shared.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

If you are over-clocking revert the system back to all stock settings 1st . or see what you find in the below steps then revert to stock.
See if the Asrock MBoard has hardware monitoring capabilities then install the Monitor Utility found on the MB CD. Document all the voltage and temp settings .
Look in Admin Tools / Component Services / Event Viewer . Browse through the Application and System error logs. You may want to clear the logs and start over . Once the problem occurs see what error logs are generated this may help you narrow it down if you do not find the problem in the System Monitor Utility for the MB . Look for Voltages lower than normal / high temp readings for the CPU/GPU / Erratic voltage spikes or drops /
Thermaltake Armor A90
Corsair HX1000W PS
i7 2600k / Cooler Master Hyper N 520
Asus P8Z68-V Pro / Gen 3
8 GIG Corsair Vengeance
eVGA GTX 570
SB Audigy2 Platinum
Kingston Hyper X120 SSD
WIN 7 - 64b
LG Blue Ray Super Multi Burrner
Logitech THX Z560
3x120mm - 1x200 mm case fans
Old 10-18-2007, 06:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I was overclocked... i have reverted it to default... but it still happens.. i will run mem test and check event log today, it freezes when ever, during games, during boot up, and while its idling...

Closed Thread