Computer- Random Shutdowns, what could it be? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default Computer- Random Shutdowns, what could it be?

For a while now my computer has had random shutdowns. Me and my Friend started trying to figure out what could be causing these problems.

The first thing we tested was the PSU. We thought that the thing might have been faulty (it is a Corsair 650) so I sent that to Corsair to be fixed. When I got it back The computer still had random Shutdowns.

The second thing we tested was the CPU ( AMD Athlon 64x2 6000). I suggested it could have been overheating because either the fan wasn't running well or that the thing was faulty. So we replaced that ( with my old Cpu, AMD Athlon 64x2 4200. I am going to call AMD soon and see if we can fix my newer, obviously better one) and it's somewhat better. The only problem now is that it has faster random shutdowns when I first turn on my computer, then it starts running properly.

What can it be that is causing these problems? I can't find a pattern in the Shutdowns, it happens any time while my computer is on. The screen doesn't go BSOD, it just closes. Could it be the Mobo, maybe?

Old 05-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Computer- Random Shutdowns, what could it be?

what temps do you have on your cpu and gpu?
If you do not have a monitoring program you can use realtemp, coretemp or speedfan.

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 05-15-2009, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
AKA ComatoseClown
Send a message via AIM to H4x3r Send a message via MSN to H4x3r
Default Re: Computer- Random Shutdowns, what could it be?

the first thing that pops into my head is overheating like Hefe said, get a monitoring program and post the temps here while idle, and under load. also check the error report to see if something in windows is causing it.
Closed Thread