Computer Problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Computer Problems

About 2 or so years ago my laptop stopped working after I took out the battery (I don't remember why I took it out). I just found it again. Can you think of anything that would cause it to stop working (it won't turn on, no lights or anything). I'm guessing it's the battery, but I'll have to find the charger to test that theory out. What else could have caused that?

I've already tried to re seat the memory, hoping that would magically fix it, but it didn't.

Smausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Computer Problems

The battery's dead. When you catch up with the brick let it charge over night. Odds are since the battery is that dead it won't come back. If it does it's going to be in pretty bad shape.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smausage View Post
About 2 or so years ago my laptop stopped working after I took out the battery (I don't remember why I took it out). I just found it again. Can you think of anything that would cause it to stop working (it won't turn on, no lights or anything). I'm guessing it's the battery, but I'll have to find the charger to test that theory out. What else could have caused that?

I've already tried to re seat the memory, hoping that would magically fix it, but it didn't.
Yeah battery is probably toast. You don't want to keep Lithium batteries discharged for long periods of time - that kills them probably faster than heat does.

When you find the charger, just remove the battery completely and plug the charger in and make sure the laptop at least still turns on when connected via AC power.

If it works fine, then you could look into getting a replacement battery - probably going to be around $10-50, depending on the laptop.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard of Wires

Just for safeties sake if you charge the battery in as bad a shape as it's going to be, place it on the kitchen counter under an AC vent. The battery is going to get hot. Li ion like LiPo batteries bring their own oxygen molecule to the party. Once on fire, they are a royal bitch to put out.

Just in case...

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/laptop

Laptop Batteries: Find Your Laptop Battery - BatteryMart.com

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/b/computers/N-r?2=2
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote