Computer Problem - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2014, 08:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: Computer Problem

Hey carnage i think i found whats wrong with it. I think the system is over heating . Cayse just this moring it shut down 4 times already and each time the fan was not on

Rocketman2798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman2798 View Post
from what i can remember i was just scrolling through facebook when it shutoff the second and third time. The first it shutoff i was playing a game. And yes i did go through your above steps. I hope i can figure this out cause i cant afford another computer.
You never posted any information that I asked for in that post, so I assumed you didn't go through it.

Post the log of your chkdsk here please. To find the log, follow these steps (skip steps 5 and 6, you'll want to search for wininit):
Check Disk (chkdsk) - Read Event Viewer Log - Windows 7 Help Forums

Did you update all your drivers from each individual manufacturer's site, and not from Acer's site?

Quote:
Hey carnage i think i found whats wrong with it. I think the system is over heating . Cayse just this moring it shut down 4 times already and each time the fan was not on
That's why I initially asked for your temps from HWMonitor. Did you download HWMonitor from my previous link and run it?? Please post a screenshot of the values it shows of: while the computer is just sitting doing nothing but running HWMonitor, and while you've been using it for a while when it tends to normally shut off.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

If you can, download and run Speccy.
https://www.piriform.com/speccy
Speccy will report everything about your pc's specs and it will report your systems temps and the SMART status of your hard drive.
Please post the results of the Speccy report here
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have figured out the problem, it's the fan in my laptop it stopped wanting to turn on. so i thin the system is overheating and shutting down.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

http://imgur.com/YsHWBmK
here is the pic you wanted carnage
Old 08-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
I have figured out the problem, it's the fan in my laptop it stopped wanting to turn on. so i thin the system is overheating and shutting down.
Does is not turn on at all? Check your Advanced Power settings to make sure your current configuration doesn't have the cooling policy set to Passive; make sure it's set to Active. Also check your BIOS to see if there's a fan setting.

If it's set to Active, and you can't find anything in BIOS about fan speed, then you'll want to try blowing the fan out with compressed air (with the system off of course). Maybe there's a lot of dust build up in it.

Failing that... the fan may be bad. Take the bottom panel off and see if you can access the fan. If you can, then see if you can freely spin it with your fingers easily, or if it resists.

If the fan is bad, then you'll want to replace it as soon as you can. In the mean time, you could get a laptop cooling pad with fans on it to try and help cool it down so that you don't cause permanent damage to your system due to overheating.

Quote:
imgur: the simple image sharer
here is the pic you wanted carnage
Is that idle or load?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 08-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok first thing, i not exactly sure how to get the advanced power setting. also have no idea have to check to BIOS, ill try the compressed air when i can buy some. i have a stand that elevates the laptop but that did not work. Also as of typing this message the Computer reached 165 F
Old 08-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Private Joker

Assuming Windows 7:

Control Panel -> Power options -> on the currently selected plan, click "Change plan settings" -> "Change advanced power settings" -> expand "Processor power management" -> expand "System cooling policy" -> set it to Active for both battery/plugged in states.

BIOS will be Setup or something similar. You have to press one of the Fxx keys at first start when you see the Acer splash screen.

Does your stand have a fan on it? If not...get one with a fan.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
The strange one

Have you ever used the Event Viewer? If not Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.* Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation..

Once you have the event viewer up go into the Windows Logs > System. Then on the right you'll see a "filter current log" option. Click that then check the boxes by "critical" and "error" then click OK.

Take a screenshot of the logs there and post it here for us to examine.
iParanormalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok Carnage i did the power setting thing. I will do the BIOS thing later but i need to what exactly am i looking for in the BIOS. and no te stand does not have a fan on it. Also iparnormal i will do that and post them here later.