Computer problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2007, 06:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Computer problem

Just for information, first of all, here are the specs of my comp: HP Customer Care local language selection* (I am sorry for the link, but I am not sure what information might be needed)

So here is the problem. I used to have XP installed on this. A week ago, the computer started restarting randomly. Sometimes I could run it for hours without a restart and sometimes it would restart in a short time. After a few days, I got a message which said that something in my XP installation is corrupted. I didn't have an XP cd, so I installed Windows Vista. I thought that the problem was with XP, but now the same thing is beginning to happen with Vista.

So I thought that this might be some hardware problem, but I am not sure what the problem could be. So can anyone please tell me what I should do, and how to solve this problem? Thanks.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Default Re: Computer problem

It could be your hard drive going bad.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If it is the hardware, can you tell me how to fix it? Will I have to go to a store to fix it?
Old 05-31-2007, 11:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Just wanted to add this, I got BSOD today. Could BSOD be related to this? And anyways, what causes BSOD.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to gamerunknown Send a message via Yahoo to gamerunknown

Ignotum Per Ignotus
Old 06-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

make sure that the ide cable and the power are securely in the harddrive
if that doesnt help then

download this

Download IBM - Hitachi Drive Fitness Test 4.09 - IBM - Hitachi Drive Fitness Test - Quick, reliable method to test SCSI and IDE hard disk drives - Softpedia

drivefitness test. burn the iso to a cd and restart the computer off that cd. you can check the harddrive with that. if it fails then buy a new harddrive , install it and reinstall windows
Old 06-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Random restarts are most commonly associated with power supply problems. If you have access to a newer power supply try swapping them out for a few days and see if it fixes your problem. NTFS file systems usually protect your system files from sudden shutdowns but if they happen frequently anything is possible. I would defiantly recommend checking all the power connections inside your case as networkgeek added. That would be my first step in solving this problem.

Closed Thread