Computer Problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Computer Problem

Well here's my computer specs:

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Intel (R)
Pentium (R) D CPU 2.80GHz
2.80 GHz, O.99 GB of RAM

Problem: My computer randomly shuts off on me while doing various tasks. I cleared all startup programs that weren't necesary and did a system restore to an earlier date. I also used last known good config when i restarted my computer. It worked for a day or so, but then started quitting on me. I'm now wondering if its something wrong w/ lack of RAM, or if I need a new hardrive or somethin. I find that it shuts down more when I have more than two programs running at once. Thing is that it never used to do this and it just started three days ago. Any ideas or suggestions? I'm completely oblivious with technical aspect of computers so any help is appreciate. If you need more info please tell me Thank you.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
I know <html>, do you?
Send a message via AIM to SYL\X/3K Send a message via Yahoo to SYL\X/3K

well might sound like a power supply failing but it can also be overheating. check what kinds of temperature u get in the BIOS and post back

P3 Setup- Intel 1.0ghz , 512Mb SDRAM , ATI 9200 128MB, 2x 40GB HD, Asus CUSL-LV

.....:::::POST Troubleshooting Steps.___.My Rig.___.Memory Test:::::.....
Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

How many processes are running on your computer? Press Control Alt Delete to find out. It will show Processes:# on the bottom left.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I downloaded a program that checks internal temperatures. The processor is at 65C, Mainboard is at 29C, GPU Diode is 73C, and Hard disk temp is 39C. Is this normal. The fans are running at close to 1k rpm. Do you have any advice on cooling the PC or is it even a factor? Could it be memory?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

My guess is overheating, too. My laptop will do that if I run processor-intensive games, unless I have an additional cooling fan (I use the "Chill Mat" that plugs into USB and sits underneath and has two fans) running.
Closed Thread