Computer powers off and restarts on hibernate/sleep/restart - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Old 08-18-2012, 02:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Computer powers off and restarts on hibernate/sleep/restart

Occasionally, my PC (Windows 7) will shut off, then after a second or two, power back on. This happens when I try to go into hibernate or sleep mode from Windows 7, or sometimes it will do this when I try to restart it (that is, instead of doing a clean reboot where Windows shuts down, then I see the BIOS screen, then Windows boots up, it will actually power off and then restart). When Windows is actually running there are no problems.

If it does this on a hibernate or sleep, when Windows boots I get the 'Windows did not shut down properly' screen, and if I select 'Start Windows normally', it boots up and everything seems OK.

There is never a blue screen, and there are no events listed in Windows event log (apart from a critical error that says Windows stopped without shutting down properly, which I already know). It looks like the power is just cut so that Windows doesn't have a chance to register a problem. The problem is intermittent, as sometimes the machine can go for a fair number of hibernates without any problems, then the problem will happen again.

A friend suggested this might be due to a faulty power supply; does that seem likely?

Thanks for any advice.

growe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Computer powers off and restarts on hibernate/sleep/restart

To repair the computer i think is good to format PC. But if it doesn't work try to change the power supply if it doesn't work again change the HDD .
Donart is offline   Reply With Quote