Computer Overheating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

travis22

Baseband Member
My computer has been rebooting itself before it gets to the loin screen and i posted about it and people said it could be overheating. I unplugged it for 4 days and then started it up again, and the same thing happened. I went into the setup and checked the computer temps, and it said the CPU was at 105F and the M/B was at 93F. Are these way hot temps, or just normal? IF they are abnormal, what could be causing it? I have three fans and they all are running. What's a good cooling system to buy?
THNX

Those temps are fine.

Letting it sit off for 4 days doesn't make any difference. The CPU gets instantly hot. If you were to take the HSF off, it would fry within seconds.

I would say there is a problem with your HDD. Try repairing the boot sector or reformat.

CrazeD said:
Those temps are fine.

Letting it sit off for 4 days doesn't make any difference. The CPU gets instantly hot. If you were to take the HSF off, it would fry within seconds.

I would say there is a problem with your HDD. Try repairing the boot sector or reformat.

That's complete bull****. The CPU should only get hot when processing. 104 F is about 42 C, and if that's an idle temp, there may be something wrong, considering it isn't a hot-running chip like the Athlon XP. And taking the HSF off while the system isn't on isn't going to cause the CPU to fry. He just has to be sure it's on correctly before he turns his system back on. Could you please tell us what your CPU is? And if it reaches these temps while idle?

Why would a HDD cause random rebooting? If it was a virus, there would most likely be signs of one, and most show a shut-down dialogue before actually shutting down anyway.

If it's not the CPU, my next suspect would be the PSU.

hey,
its a celeron 2.4ghz. the m/b is a ge pro-m2 american megatrends BIOS p1.70 date: 11-04-03 It might be a virus, but it shows no error signs. i don't know how to apply thermal paste or where to get it. If the HDD is bad, how would i know? It books and shows the windows xp loading screen, but it reboots itself before it can get to the login screen.

Those temps sound normal to me. Can you get into safe mode? Try booting into safe mode and defragging also run a full checkdisk scan to eliminate any hard drive related issues. If you can't get into safe mode try booting with Freedos and running chkdsk from there or any bootable hd scanner (there are lots). It could also be a memory problem, although those usually seem to give a bsod rather than just a reboot. Wouldn't hurt to run Memtest86 just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom