computer only works with case sideways?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy8jacky

Beta member
I've built a couple computers in the past with minor to no issues, but this is a very strange problem so I'm looking for any advice you may have.

I have the following components for reference (all new):
-asus p5n-e mobo
- 2x1GB balistix pc6400 ddr2 ram
-bgf 8800gts oc2
-320gb maxtor hd (sata)
-2 x 160 seagate hd's (ide)
-700 watt ocz gameXstream psu
-Q6600 with stock heatsink
-generic dvd-rw drive (ide)

I'm using the following case ( XCLIO Windtunnel) :
Newegg.com - XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Here is my problem:
the computer will turn on and then after a random time (2-25 seconds or so) turn off. I can then hit the power button again and it'll do the same thing. I then assumed i had the mobo hitting the chassis somewhere so i took the whole thing out. assembled it on my kitched table with some cardboard under it. All i had plugged in was the graphics card, psu + heatsink, and ram. I kept the psu in the case and just had the wires connected from there. I plugged a keyboard in and the monitor and tried booting. Still same issue.

I then tried using a old 500 watt psu for just those components. same issue. I then exchanged the motherboard and cpu at the local store and reassembled when i got home and STILL same issue. I then went and bought a new single stick of ram. All of a sudden it worked? Note in between trying the new ram i took all the parts apart and put them in static free bags. I assumed i had some faulty ram to start. put everything back into the case and moved it into my room. I hit the button with the new, working stick of ram and that old issue started up again. I then (for some unknown reason) turned the on it's side (the mobo is facing up) and i start up the computer. Now the thing goes as far as letting me install windows xp and never quits. I then turn it face up again and it turns off after 15 seconds.

I checked and checked for shorts, but couldn't find any. ANY suggestions are welcomed. I feel stupid like i'm missing something simple. I am just extremely lost why the thing works on its side, but not sitting up?!?!!?!?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that when the case is standing straight up after a few seconds I hear something (a fan?) falter for a brief half-second or so and then in a few seconds the computer turns off.

are you leaving the case open when you are booting it? if so look inside to see if the fan wires or something are obstructing the CPU fan when it is standing up. if your CPU fan isn't working the system will not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom