Computer only starts when hot, otherwise it is a pain to turn on, . . . - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Computer only starts when hot, otherwise it is a pain to turn on, . . .

you have to keep pressing the button and sometimes can't get it on without wigging boards, maybe. Kind of hard to describe since I'm describing it second hand.

But when it's hot it turns on, otherwise when it's cold it seems like it's on but nothing appears on the screen either with a video card or with on-the-motherboard video. I tested the memory and it tested good.

I think it's a power supply or maybe the motherboard?

jimmy1541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Check the pw switch front panel headers connection on the motherboard. See if the computer works by jumping the green and black power supply cables with a paperclip

Matt_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Computer only starts when hot, otherwise it is a pain to turn on, . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1541 View Post
you have to keep pressing the button and sometimes can't get it on without wigging boards, maybe. Kind of hard to describe since I'm describing it second hand.

But when it's hot it turns on, otherwise when it's cold it seems like it's on but nothing appears on the screen either with a video card or with on-the-motherboard video. I tested the memory and it tested good.

I think it's a power supply or maybe the motherboard?
I'd try a different power supply first.

If you already tried one, or don't have access to one, then I would try removing the motherboard / components from the case to make sure that nothing is shorting out (since you said you had to wiggle things around to get it to work).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote