Computer not starting up properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_748

Beta member
I'm not exactly sure if this is the correct board to be posting on, but here goes anyway.

I woke up this morning, and my computer worked just fine. I get home from class about 2 hours later, and everything is still on, but nothing works, i.e. keyboard or mouse. I cut the power, wait 5 minutes then tried to start up again. When I turn it on, it doesn't send out a signal to my monitor, and a fan or something is making a constant noise that doesn't usually accompany the start up process. I decided to take the cover off and check to make sure nothing was broken, and there wasn't. I dusted it out with an air compressor, so it is now dust-free, but it still won't work. Same noise, same problem as I mentioned before.

any help would be much appreciated.

alex_748

Sounds like the fan is dying, and if so that can prevent your PC from starting. That way it doesn't overheat and fry the CPU. Try a couple drops of WD-40 on the fan and see what happens. Not spray it, just a couple drops. That will delay the inevitable and also make your fan turn way faster. Use with extreme caution.

superdave1984 said:
Sounds like the fan is dying, and if so that can prevent your PC from starting. That way it doesn't overheat and fry the CPU. Try a couple drops of WD-40 on the fan and see what happens. Not spray it, just a couple drops. That will delay the inevitable and also make your fan turn way faster. Use with extreme caution.

Who in their right ming told you that? A dying fan will not cause this, lol.

Anyway clear the cmos and/or remove the battery. Move the ram around and only try it with one stick. If that doesn't work then try this.

Make sure your internal speaker is hooked up. If you have an extra psu you can try that (odd's are it is fine though) Remove everything from the board (ram, video card, sound card, all IDE cables for drives, floppy cables etc, etc) Just keep the cpu in and all the power connectors connected to the board. If it doesn't beep at you then the boards toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom