Computer Not Starting - Blips On Then Off!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't even turn on anymore (kinda the same thing as before, except no small blips of power.) I checked the power switch wires and they looked ok. The switch seemed fine too. So I'm guessing some how the mobo got or was returned f***ed up.

I'm almost positive the video card and ram are non working, although the first time i turned on my dads comp with my video card it displayed part of the energy star screen (wasn't messed up or anything, it was just missing most of the info that comes on that screen.) After that, it didn't display any video, just the blinking screen LED. So I dunno. But, I might as well send the CPU back (if it's still under warranty) so if it IS broken, I don't have to wait another two weeks for just my cpu to return.

This SUCKS. I seriously none of you have to go through this cuz this is BS. ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR IMPORTANT DATA (luckily my HDD still works)!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm building a computer right now with some of the same type problems, what ended up happening?

mike

Great news!!!! She's up and running 100%

I sent back the mobo (again) and sent back both RAM modules. I got them both back about a week ago. I plugged them in, got the mobo all setup, CPU in it's slot and all that, turned her on, and w00t, the POST thingy beeped, the energy star screen that displays your system parts came on, and then the Windows XP load screen came on. Working fine now.

My hypothesis about what happened is; a power surge/spike or brownout (forgot the terminology) entered my old stock PSU (350w I believe, Raidmax with the seal broken around the PSU casing) causing it to fry and/or send extra current into the mobo and possibly RAM, causing parts to fry. Now I wonder why the motherboard they sent back the first time didn't work? Hmmm......

Again, that's just my theory, I'm probably wrong. What have I learned through all of this?

- BACK UP YOUR DATA, ESPECIALLY YOUR IMPORTANT FILES!!!

- KEEP YOUR INVOICES/PURCHASE INFO FOR YOUR COMPUTER PARTS!!! THEY'LL COME IN HANDY IF SOMETHING FAILS AND YOU HAVE TO SEND IT BACK!!

- USE A HIGH QUALITY POWER SUPPLY UNIT WITH AMPLE WATTAGE!!! I would say atleast 400w for mid-range computers now days.

Sorry for the caps, but those things are critical.

It's certainly not the PSU, I'll think that the motherboard is the problem. Once Ram is good and your graphics maybe its the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom