Computer Not Starting - Blips On Then Off!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
btw, i should say, when it shut down like this, it fried my mx510 mouse, and my keyboard...

its not the PSU i can guarentee you, we tried on my bros pc aswell, psu was fine, the one we bought anyway. never worked on my blown up comp :p

Well I decided to RMA it back to MSI. It's still barely under warranty. Should get an email in a few days with the number and instructions. Till then I'll keep you guys updated.

Yea, I didn't even test out the new PSU on my dads comp, cuz i'm almost positive it's not the new PSU. Pretty sure it's the mobo... I just hope it didn't fry any other components.

Note: My old power supply that I was using (came with the case) was a 350w (I think, maybe 380) Raidmax. I noticed the seal sticker was broken too. Anyway, at first I thought it was the PSU, so I took it apart for poops and giggles, then threw it away. It was probably still good, but o well. My new Thermaltake should be all I need. But yea, maybe the old PSU burped and fried my mobo... who knows.....

I am soooo pissed though. BF2 just came out, and I only got to play it for about a week, then a few days after my comp died, I just got GTA san andreas in the mail for PC, so I can't even play that. God damnit.

Well, with my new computer, I took my HDD, the RAM (which i gotta take out anyway - it works though), and a dvd drive. Your case sounds exact to mine, so im sure your components will be fine.

Got the RMA number - sending the mobo off today. I'll let you all know if it was the mobo when I get it back in a couple weeks.

Ok guys, I have good news and I have bad news...

- The good news is I got a replacement motherboard.
- The bad news is that my computer doesn't boot. It turns on, but no video, no POST beep, nothing...

I installed everything back in, my RAM, video card, processor, etc, but when I press the power button, the fans, processor, hard drive and all that stuff turn on, but I don't get any video. The screen is black. ALTHOUGH, I did get one screen. It's the one where it has the energy star thing on and a list of the components you have in your computer (the one where it does the memory test), and everything looked ok, except that it said my processor was an Athlon 1700 (it's a 2600 XP.) That's the only video I got.

Then, I decided to install an MSI D-Bracket 2 because it has 4 LED's on it that show you what the computer is doing during bootup. I turned on the computer, and it hung at "Memory Detection Test: Testing onoard memory size. The D-LED will hang if the momory module is damaged or not installed properly." So, I took out the dual channel stick, and restarted. It then hung at "Testing Base and Extended Memory: Testing base memory from 240k to 640k and extended memory above 1MB using various patterns." ........

But........

Aside from the memory issue indicated by the D-Bracket, is the video issue. I popped in my dads old GeForce 2 card, and the same thing happened. No video. The actual tube turned on (i heard it "fizz", but it didn't display anything; the green LED just kept blinking on and off." So, it can't be the video card's problem.

I don't know..... tomorrow, i'm going to install my memory sticks into my dads computer and see if it's the RAM. If it isn't, then it's obviously the used "replacement" motherboard. I have quotations around "replacement" because it smells like my old one; a burnt dust smell. I'm going to go check the S/N and PIN of the replacement and compare them to my old one (numbers should be in my RMA email to MSI.)

But yea, I'll let you all know how my RAM turns out tomorrow. If the RAM is ok, I'm sending the "replacement" back to MSI for a WORKING replacement.

Well I did a switcharooo with my dads comp and mine, and this is what I found out...

PSU seems to be ok.
Optical Drives seem to be ok.
Floppy seems to be ok.
HDD is ok.

~~~

I swapped RAM and video cards mainly. With my dads vcard and my 2 sticks of ram in his computer, Windows would not load. It ran checkdisk, and after that it failed to load Windows (into the memory I'm assuming.) So, there seems to be a problem with the RAM.

I put his ram back into his comp and swapped my video card into his computer. It pretty much did the same thing, no video.

I'm unsure on my CPU's condition though, but I'm worried. My theory is: My old PSU "glitched" and sent an overburst of electricity into the motherboard via the ATX connector. Anything that draws power directly off of the motherboard (video card, RAM, and PCI cards, etc) was fried. Now, I am unsure about the CPU because it has its own 4 wire power cord, so I think my CPU may be ok. But, i'd say this is what happened because that would explain the no video and the RAM not working (they draw power directly off of the mobo [my vcard has an extra power cord though too], and they're the parts that don't seem to work.), but my optical and HDD working just fine.

~~~~~

Anyone have any input? I'm probably going to send in the RAM and video card under warranty and hopefully they'll send me a replacement (although it's not their fault, it's that god damned old power supply I had I bet.) If THAT STILL doesn't fix it, then I give up on life. I'm done.

Alright, well I'm gonna send off the mobo, ram, and video card, and i'm going to put on new brass nuts on the case to make sure I'm not grounding anything.

Parts should go out monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom