Computer not fully reading my RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerfootball05

In Runtime
So I just bought a new 1Gb stick of RAM for my computer but it's not reading completely. I have 2 other 512mb sticks in there and they work fine but when I added the 1gb stick, BIOS could only read that I had just over 1.5Gb of total RAM. I have 4 slots for RAM to go in, and the slots are alternately colored, green then purple (GPGP). My motherboard supports up to 4 gigs so I know thats not an issue, and I know for sure all 3 sticks work by themselves. I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the colors? I have situated the sticks in every order I can think of but the most I can ever get is 1.5Gb. Will getting another stick of RAM (to fill all 4 slots) help at all? How can I get all 2gb to work?

yeah thats the one: MSI K8N Neo4 Platnium. I looked in the booklet it came with for help but couldnt find anything specific.

How much ram does your bios detect when you have these orders:
a> G1=512MB P1=1GB G2=512MB P2=Empty
b> G1=512MB P1=512MB G2=1GB P2=Empty
c> G1=512MB P1=Empty G2=512MB P2=1G

Might wanna add d...

d> G1 = Empty, P1 = 512MB, G2 = 512MB, P2 = 1G

It could be that a slot is fried, or the BIOS is having problems with an odd amount of sticks being installed.

a. 1gb
b. 1.5gb
c. 1gb
d. 512mb

Note that when i tested G1=empty, p1=empty, G2=512mb, p2=1gb, it showed that I had 1gb total memory. Order D is the same as this, but with 512mb ADDED to p1, and it results in 512mb LESS overall memory than before.

Another strange configuration resulting in 512mb of read memory was:
G1=empty, P1=1GB, G2=512GB, P2=512GB

I cannot figure this out...

It looks like it doesn't like odd number sticks of ram, but this result threw me off abit.
G1=empty, p1=empty, G2=512mb, p2=1gb total=1gb...
I really thought it would have 1.5gb in this config.

What do you get if you do:
G1=512mb, p1=1gb, G2=empty, p2=empty

For the results
It reads all the green slots first, then ignores purple slots if a)green slots are not filled, b)purple slots are not filled.

Best guess is that either A the third slot is evil.

Or B what brinks said. Can you find another 128 or 256mb chip cheap just to fill in the slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom