Computer Not Detecting Twin Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGELLIS

In Runtime
I have an Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard with a Seagate ST3200822A 200GB ATA and a Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB ATA hard drive, and I removed them both to put into another system to pop some large files off, and now when I put both drives on the Primary IDE connector, the Seagate is detected (Master) and the Maxtor is not seen, but if you remove the Seagate, the maxtor is detected fine!

I cannot understand why its doing this, as I have tried them BOTH in a different computer and both work happily alongside eachother, which indicates they both work, and theres a fault with my IDE controller, but the same happens on the secondary IDE port, although if on different connectors they work! I am now stumped as what to do! Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Ruan

that sounds just like a jumper issue...make sure that the seagate is set to master, and the maxtor is set to slave...

No, I have checked the jumpers there is no jumper on the maxtor (indicating DS Slave) there is a jumper on the seagate closest to the IDE cable which should indicate master, but i will try a different jumper

Thanks for the response

Ruan

No, the new jumper doesnt work... and I tried on a different computer, where they both worked! I'm now completely stumped!!

Thanks

Ruan

hmmmm..... are you sure both drives have power? try running one off each powersupply, maybe you have some dodgy molex's or something.

Right, well I have the maxtor on the secondary controller and the seagate on the first, so I am going to transfer all the data off to the seagate and see whether I can get them both working.

I am also going to try and get an external Hard drive to backup onto!

Thanks for all your help any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ruan

Right update, the cables I tried were BOTH knackered, try it on the cable that my mums computer works off, works fine! So popping up to PC World, to get a nice rounded cable :)

Thanks all for your help

Ruan

seems strange that the IDE that worked before suddenly gave up the ghost... but i suppose that is how it goes. all this unplugging of it. did you pull it out by the wires, or some form of handle thingy?

Hmm, I dont think I pulled any wires out of the connectors, but it was probably me and you, josh trying to sort out the wire management :D, but I now have a rounded IDE cable which is even better, plus my dad said he would pay for it (Belkin so its a COMPLETE RIP OFF) so im happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom