Computer not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottie0352003

Solid State Member
Sorry i posted in the wrong place, just tired from so much work.

Last week i shut down my Acer Aspire M1100 and only 2 years old if that. Unplugged the tower and then unplugged everything from the back, unscrewed the fan and unplugged it, cleaned it and put it back in place. Then i removed the power supply and cleaned that fam also. Put it all back together and now it wont boot up to windows. Anything that is plugged into the back isnt getting a signal. After i power it on, the fans kick on, the HDD starts but the initial beep that starts windows isnt there.
I too it to a repair tech and he said that my motherboard was shot, dont see how. Any possible ideas as to what happened. Or if the mother board is shot, what kind of new one should i use. This computer is loaded.

Thanks again for any help.

Sorry i posted in the wrong place, just tired from so much work.

Last week i shut down my Acer Aspire M1100 and only 2 years old if that. Unplugged the tower and then unplugged everything from the back, unscrewed the fan and unplugged it, cleaned it and put it back in place. Then i removed the power supply and cleaned that fam also. Put it all back together and now it wont boot up to windows. Anything that is plugged into the back isnt getting a signal. After i power it on, the fans kick on, the HDD starts but the initial beep that starts windows isnt there.
I too it to a repair tech and he said that my motherboard was shot, dont see how. Any possible ideas as to what happened. Or if the mother board is shot, what kind of new one should i use. This computer is loaded.

Thanks again for any help.

It could be while you were taking parts out, the motherboard was damaged. That would be one way I can think of. If the standoffs are loose, then the movement could have caused something to short out upon starting up, is another thing that is possible.

That beep is an error code. You need to find out what manfactures that motherboard and look up the error code (sometimes it can be found in your manual).

As oldskool said it sounds like you shorted a component when cleaning. Did you properly ground yourself before touching the internal components? It does sound like you fried a component.

Check the error code before jumping to conclusions. Also double and triple check your connections.

ok thnaks for the info... i will triple check everything. I do know the motherboard wasnt loose, i was well grounded before i touched it.
I will update on what i find.
Also, how can i find an error code if i cant get the computer to completely load windows.

ok i will do the bench test. Another thing that i forgot. After i got it back from the computer techs, they took off all my jumpers. I know i did see a blue one and what area it went to, on where it has 3 pins and has CLR and CMOS. Dont know what pins to put it back on. I think one of the jumpers isnt even mine, does anyone know where i can see a pic of an ACER ASPIRE M1100 motherboard so that i have an idea where they go.

ok i will do the bench test. Another thing that i forgot. After i got it back from the computer techs, they took off all my jumpers. I know i did see a blue one and what area it went to, on where it has 3 pins and has CLR and CMOS.
The jumper pic specifically for this Bios Reset Jumper will be in your Manual (download from Acer Support)

But normally I believe it is across Pins 1 and 2 (anyway, its one or the other, ie either 2 and 3)
But I'm confused why the "Techs" would remove all your jumpers :confused:
There may be other jumpers that have been removed as well (that may be needed)
You are best to ask them to put the jumpers back on, where they are suppose to go
Also ask them if they themselves "Benchtested" the Motherboard, and if not, how would they know its dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom