computer no longer reads any hard drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default computer no longer reads any hard drive

My computer stopped detecting my hdd, and I've tried several things to solve the problem. I switched out the hdd with another and replaced all the cables to no effect. I know the hard drives are getting power because they vibrate when I turn the pc on. Thus, the problem obviously has something to do with the data portion of the system. As said earlier, switching data cables has not worked. I even tried plugging the hdd into different SATA slots on the mobo to no effect. I'm guessing that my motherboard just blew out in that region or something. Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: computer no longer reads any hard drive

First of all, one thread is sufficient. No need to post twice.

Have you tried installing the hdd in a different pc? Try to troubleshoot the individual parts seperately. e.g. swap the cables into a different pc, and see if that works. If it does, rule out the cables as possible cause of the problem. Also try installing a different hdd in the broken pc.

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 05-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Exclamation Re: computer no longer reads any hard drive

I already ruled out the cables as a problem. All of the hdds worked on another pc.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

then it's a hard drive controller problem on your motherboard. are they SATA or IDE drives?
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Sata.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

I just tried taking apart the entire pc and putting it back together to no effect.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

hook up an IDE drive and see if that works.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Have you tried clearing the CMOS?

Closed Thread