computer is messed up, I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mypcbroke

Baseband Member
Recently my computer broke, then I replaced the PSU for an antec 450w which successfully made the computer boot, and run fine -sort of. I can't play any games now, they freeze and my computer freezes and I have to reboot. I did a reformat last night and had to go through painful hours of trying to install XP, due to it freezing and I'd have to restart the whole thing.

None of my games will work, WoW will freeze, CS:S freezes, the only game I managed to play was diablo 2. I didn't have this problem before the new PSU but my older PSU broke, I'm guessing this is an overheating issue but I don't really know for sure.

Any help would be great, if there's something I can do in BIOS or something to lower the temp of the system if that's the issue. :(

Maybe cpu, card or something else is overheating?

try Clean the case out of all dust

already did that, not dusty

here's my temperature readings, IDK if these are normal but I'm pretty sure they are fine

untitled-1.jpg

An Antec 450w? Is that an Earthwatts model? Antec generally sees 380s, 400s, 430s, 480s, 550s, and higher now like the 650s and 850w models since Channelwell no longer makes them.

The supply isn't the problem for not seeing games run while bad memory, a failing cpu, video card or cpu overheating are more likely causes if the video card isn't going or in need of a different set of drivers. You can see temps shown in the bios by way of the hardware monitor on most boards.

Internal cooling will depend on the type of case and layout for adding in more case fans or swapping 80-90mm fans for 110s or 120s with an adapter. Besides temps knowing the age as well as some overall specifications might help in ruling things out as you go along. The cpu core temp is on the high side suggesting a better cpu cooler as another thought.

An Antec 450w? Is that an Earthwatts model? Antec generally sees 380s, 400s, 430s, 480s, 550s, and higher now like the 650s and 850w models since Channelwell no longer makes them.

The supply isn't the problem for not seeing games run while bad memory, a failing cpu, video card or cpu overheating are more likely causes if the video card isn't going or in need of a different set of drivers. You can see temps shown in the bios by way of the hardware monitor on most boards.

Internal cooling will depend on the type of case and layout for adding in more case fans or swapping 80-90mm fans for 110s or 120s with an adapter. Besides temps knowing the age as well as some overall specifications might help in ruling things out as you go along. The cpu core temp is on the high side suggesting a better cpu cooler as another thought.

I knew I forgot something in my first post, here's my specs, fairly old system.

AMD 3200+
MSI-k8n neo4
MSI 6600gt
corsair value select 2x512mb
I'm fairly certain the PSU is this one Newegg.com - Antec True Power Trio TP3-430 ATX12V 430W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB - Power Supplies
seagate 160gb hd

standard heatsink from amd, I have 2 80mm fans on the side of my case near the bottom

I forgot to mention I haven't updated my drivers since I reformatted, I'm going to get on that right now and see if I have any luck, but before that I was all updated and it still crashed (pre-reformat)

Only two 80mm case fans on the side cover? Good grievances! That's enough right there to cook a board!

When upgrading an old Socket A build seeing a rear and top pair of 80s the board temp was 48C while the ilde cpu was about 44-46C for the Atholon 3500+. Once I simply moved everything into a new case seeing a large 140mm front intake and rear 120 the board then saw 31C with the cpu also down to 33C with a Zalman 8500 on top.

The case there sounds like one meant for an old Socket A or P III board since P4s generally run warmer to begin with. There should be an opening for a rear fan even an 80 like seen on just about every case. A good front intake would also help to draw in cooler air.

Only two 80mm case fans on the side cover? Good grievances! That's enough right there to cook a board!

When upgrading an old Socket A build seeing a rear and top pair of 80s the board temp was 48C while the ilde cpu was about 44-46C for the Atholon 3500+. Once I simply moved everything into a new case seeing a large 140mm front intake and rear 120 the board then saw 31C with the cpu also down to 33C with a Zalman 8500 on top.

The case there sounds like one meant for an old Socket A or P III board since P4s generally run warmer to begin with. There should be an opening for a rear fan even an 80 like seen on just about every case. A good front intake would also help to draw in cooler air.

I don't mean to disagree or anything, however my PC has been running strong for about 2 1/2 - 3 years with no heating issue, not only that but the side fans stopped working about a year in (guess the old PSU couldn't power them). Just recently am I seeing problems, even with the two added fans, there's still something wrong. I could be being ignorant right now, if so explain to me, but I don't think that's the issue.

If it is however, should I buy a better HSF or two 80mm fans and mount them on the back of the case?

Thanks for the help so far. :happy:

I was simply pointing out one reason for seeing the higher core temp while you expect to see warmer temps with a stock hsf on. The cooler the board is kept however the lower the cpu temps will end up being even with stock cooler on.

After 2 1/2 to 3yrs. of use one thing most will never think of when problems are seen is simple a $2-$3 item in a retail store namely the battery on the board itself. If that is now weak it will show signs wiith a variety of problems at times like freezes ups and sudden system restarts when running a game or app.

Memory faults are certainly another item that will cause system locks. Running memtest for several hours like overnight to stress test the current memory could point out a bad dimm if one of the 512s is now toast. A good test revealing a bad dimm or trying each one alone and then running one of the games will see if that is where the problem is.

I was simply pointing out one reason for seeing the higher core temp while you expect to see warmer temps with a stock hsf on. The cooler the board is kept however the lower the cpu temps will end up being even with stock cooler on.

After 2 1/2 to 3yrs. of use one thing most will never think of when problems are seen is simple a $2-$3 item in a retail store namely the battery on the board itself. If that is now weak it will show signs wiith a variety of problems at times like freezes ups and sudden system restarts when running a game or app.

Memory faults are certainly another item that will cause system locks. Running memtest for several hours like overnight to stress test the current memory could point out a bad dimm if one of the 512s is now toast. A good test revealing a bad dimm or trying each one alone and then running one of the games will see if that is where the problem is.

The battery could be it, I'll probably try and get one of those soon to see if it will work. I'm going to download memtest and see if that's the problem also. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom