Computer locks up - very strange. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Computer locks up - very strange.

Windows Vista/XP (Dual Booted)
Asus Striker Extreme Mobo (BIOS - latest)
Nvidia GF 8800 GTX (XP - 158.22/Vista - 158.18)
INtel COre 2 Duo E6700 2.67Ghz
Creative Soundblaster XFI Extreme(latest drivers)

Ever since I ran a bittorent program (uTorrent and Bitornado) my computer has been stalling every so often. For example, if I were playing a game it would simply stop and the graphics would become distorted. The windows desktop would do the same thing and just freeze. I can't put this down to temperatures because to fix it I can simply power off and power on again and it will be resolved.

It usually happens about 8 to 12 hours after I turn the PC on, I can play games such as BF2 (64/64 servers etc) in that time perfectly well, there is no problem. I think it might have something to do with me leaving it idle for a period of time...

I have reformatted the entire HDD about 5 times in an effort to get rid of whatever it is that is causing the problem but to no avail. I have also reset the the BIOS - makes no difference.

I can only assume that seeing as I've completely reformatted the HDD, it must be hardware related but... now at least... the computer is behaving as it should be, I'm scoring well on 3D Mark 2006... everything is fine. But give it 6 or 7 hours... it will, without fail, lock up and I'll have to power down and up againt to resolve it for the next 8 or 10 hours.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Computer locks up - very strange.

it could be that your hard drive is going bad, you can check that by using hard drive check utility, but i need more info on your hard drive to tell you the specific one. Or you could also try just using one os for about 2 days and then the other to see if maybe they were conflicting with each other. Forgot to mention though this all sounds like a heat problem and or power supply problem try to get the info on ur gpus temps at full load and also check your power supply by switching it out, try borrowing someones. Last but not least check your bios settings it could be something in there.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Computer locks up - very strange.

Not to worry, I got so fed up so I took advantage of my 1 year warranty, it's going in for repairs, someone else can deal with the fing thing.
Closed Thread