Computer locking up, really slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
My PC specs are in my sig. I thought a dual core cpu was supposed to run 2 things at once smoothly? If I am listening to music, then decide to open up fire fox, the music gets extremely laggy and firefox takes like 8 seconds to open up. My PC also keeps randomly locking up while playing wow and different games on steam. I dont understand what is going on, my PC is running extremely slow and I have a great build. I use AVG free anti virus and have never found a serious threat on my pc. My cpu usage is always under 5% when doing nothing. Why is my pc soo bottled down? It doesnt need to be defragged either. Please help, thanks!

How much ram do you have in your system?

Run a disk check as well to see if there are any bad sectors on your hard drive.

I have 2gb in it (specs in my signature) also, where is disk check? I just did the analyze thing for disk defrag and it says total fragmentation-15%

defrag the drive(its not too bad but u should still do it), it may take a while.

For some reason i can't remember where u go to do a hdd check on the restart.

Go to your 'my computer.' Then right click on the hard drive and go to properties. Then tools, then error-checking. I believe if you do the thorough one it will require a restart, then it will check before your OS boots.

^thats it, i thought it was properties on my computer, not the hdd. Yes it will need a restart, and it will check then report any errors/bad stuff.

should I check any of the two boxes it shows? (auto fix file system errors, scan and attempt recovery of bad sectors)

Just run a command prompt and type "chkdsk /f [driveletter]" then it will either check the disk right then or if it can't it will ask you whether you want to check it next time at boot.

I just find it faster that way :).

I don't believe it has to do anything with the hard drive, I'd say its bad sectors on the ram.
How long have you had this pc for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom