Computer Lagging and Restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy345

In Runtime
Recently my computer has been lagging when I multi-task. When I was listening to music it would make the music lag even when I did simple things like open Firefox. So today I reinstalled windows to see if it would fix the problem and it didn't fix it. I got all the latest drivers to see if that would help but it is still lagging. But now my computer has restarted randomly twice. Both times when it came back on it said it had recovered from a serious error. One time it blamed it on my wireless device(which i don't think is true because I have been using the same device and drivers for 2 years) and the second time it just blamed it on drivers. Both times that it happened my screen just turned black and I heard my hard drives restart. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what the problem could be and how I can fix it.

Besides a possible drive failure in progress or mishap with video drivers and updates there are two main things you can look over. Upon seeing sudden restarts you may be faced with a temp problem from dust clogged fans seeing high temps for the cpu and board in general. Another item commonly overlooked is a simple $3 battery found on the board itself.

First examing temps and running a drive diagnostic tool from the drive's manufacturer will help rule out any hardware problems besides the cpu and more likely need to update the bios if the battery or new replacement fails to any improvement. Finding out that the driver updates for the wrong version of Windows or particular device like video card going on would be another thought to consider.

Less than 2 weeks ago i took my computer completely apart and cleaned all the dust and put new compound on the cpu so it is clean. Also the temperatures are

Monitoring Chip : ITE IT8718F
Voltage CPU : 1.33 V
Aux. : 3.38 V
+3.3V Voltage : 1.79 V
+5V Voltage : 5.02 V
+12V Voltage : 13.65 V
FSB_VTT : 1.79 V
VBAT : 3.30 V
Chassis Fan : 10 rpm
Processor Fan : 1071 rpm
Power/Aux Fan : 10 rpm
Processor Temperature : 33 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 1) : 45 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 2) : 45 °C
Mainboard Temperature : 28 °C
Monitoring Chip GPU : nVidia Driver + Thermal Diode
GPU Temperature : 51 °C
GPU Diode : 46 °C
GPU Fan : 17%
Hard Disk Temperature ST3808110AS : 29 °C
Hard Disk Temperature ST3808110AS : 29 °C

Their is an update for my bios and ill install that now. Also ill check if I have the latest video drivers for my video card. I tried to play a game today and I was getting really low fps compared to 2 months ago when i getting the max fps for the game. Also the game was lagging a lot.

I see you kept the case maintained by cleaning it up which rules out slowed down fans and high temps. Lately the best and closest to board sensor reading seen in the bios hardware monitor are seen with PC Wizard 2008 while the Asus Probe II for use even on some non Asus boards has been good at times.

When first getting the new build here together in early Sept. the ATI 7.9 as well as the drivers on the cd with the card were a regular nightmare even seeing swift system restarts when going to run something. The susequent 7.10 cleaned up any problems in Vista while XP still saw the Start taskbar ger partitially washed out until the 7.11 version was then put to use. XP also saw a clean install again to see the 7..1 go on again and no problems since.

Some were also reporting problems with the 8800 model they were running on XP suggesting Vista drivers may have gone onto XP somehow. For the swift restarts out of nowhere while temps are still within norm there the other thought would be looking at the supply or worse caps on the board itself. A bad cap on the board or in the supply would explain why you are seeing power levels simply drop off without warning.

The readings I gave above are from PC Wizard 2008 so they should be accurate. The last time my computer restarted it blamed it on my wireless device drivers so I think it might have to do with that. After the holidays I am going to buy a new wireless adapter and see if that fixes the crashes. I'm going to download and install the latest video drivers now too.

A bad expansion card of any type can pull power down on the board. The PC Wizard 2008 version has also been far better then seen with other programs like SpeedFan lately. See how an update goes if that is a newer model card however.

Like I mentioned before there was nothing but headaches with both XP and Vista alike until the next ATI catalyst came out. It then took a second update for XP to get back to normal. For now all you can do is rule out one thing at a time and hopefully find out it's nothing serious simply a driver annoyance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom