Computer Keeps Shutting Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockbotkins

Baseband Member
Hello Everyone,

My computer is about 2 years old, it has 512mb DDR and has a amd 2800 xp with 240gb of space, I'm a web designer and I have left it on for the past year or so straight without turning it off.

It started doing this in july, it will shut off every 3-4 days, at first I thought it was because I had a lot of programs opened but then I tried to do a virus scan and it would shut off with nothing else opened. When it shuts off and I turn on the power button it won't come back on, I have to turn it off in the back with the switch and wait 5 minutes before I can turn it back on, is this a power supply problem? Hopefully it is so I only have to go out and buy a new power supply, but I do plan to buy another 512mb DDR as well.

Let me know what it could be.

Thanks!
Scott

It's a ATX p4-12v 400W, then it has A1 Switching Power Supply. It seems to always shut off the most when I'm doing work in Adobe photoshop.

Well it really depends, either Overheat/Not Enough Power.

Normal power supplies only run at 70% efficency, so .70*400=280W

Ya invest in a new power supply. I really don't see what else it could be, however, I think if the CPU reaches a certain temparture it will shut off. Make sure the heat sink is properly seated, also make sure the fan is working and blow out any dust you see. But If the PSU is weak which is probably is cause its generic, it probably can't handle loads to well. Could be a combination of both really.

Alright, I'll def. get a new power supply, if possible could someone show me a good one to get from tigerdirect.com? I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom