Computer keeps restarting on shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptw78

Beta member
​I just built my first computer. It keeps restarting when I go to shut it down via windows, the actual shutdown button, and even if I select to put it to sleep it wakes back up right away. I updated the bios, reset the cmos, checked to make sure that it should actually shutdown when I select shutdown in the settings, check to make sure I didn't have my reset and shutdown wires backwards in the motherboard. I'm kind of out of ideas on what to do. I'm not getting any errors and other than it restarting when I want to shut it down or sleep it works fine.

System is:
Amd fx6100
gigabye 970a-d3
g.skilll 12mb ram
galaxy gefore 430gt
585w x-power psu
windows 7 home premium 64 bit

​I just built my first computer. It keeps restarting when I go to shut it down via windows, the actual shutdown button, and even if I select to put it to sleep it wakes back up right away. I updated the bios, reset the cmos, checked to make sure that it should actually shutdown when I select shutdown in the settings, check to make sure I didn't have my reset and shutdown wires backwards in the motherboard. I'm kind of out of ideas on what to do. I'm not getting any errors and other than it restarting when I want to shut it down or sleep it works fine.

System is:
Amd fx6100
gigabye 970a-d3
g.skilll 12mb ram
galaxy gefore 430gt
585w x-power psu
windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Change what happens when you press the power button

You can choose what happens when you press the power button on your computer case (or the edge of your laptop). The computer can shut down, sleep, hibernate, or do nothing. You can apply the same setting to all of your power plans or you can apply different settings to individual power plans.

Hide all

To apply the same setting to all power plans

Open Power Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

On the Select a power plan page, in the left pane, click Choose what the power buttons do.

On the Define power buttons and turn on password protection page, next to When I press the power button, choose what you want your computer to do when you press the power button.

If you have a laptop, you can choose separate settings for when your laptop is running on battery and when it's plugged in.

Click Save changes.

To apply a setting to a specific power plan

Open Power Options by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then clicking Power Options.

On the Select a power plan page, click Change plan settings for the plan that you want to change.

On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.

On the Advanced settings tab, expand Power buttons and lid, expand Power button action, choose what you want your computer to do when you press the power button, and then click OK.

If you have a laptop, you can choose separate settings for when your laptop is running on battery and when it's plugged in.

Change what happens when you press the power button on your computer

Check to make sure in bios that you wont have anything wakeup your pc if you touch your keyboard button or mouse or even wake on lan can do it at times when its scheduled for anything.

Morpheus is right the wake on LAN can be a major pain especially for a laptop as it will chew the battery real quick. However you can disable it by doing what he said. Go into the BIOS of your system and change the wireless settings. Depending on if your PC is new or old it may not be in the BIOS settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom