Computer keeps restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter861

Baseband Member
Hey all, wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but since I recently installed a new motherboard and video card I figured this board would work. Like I said, I just installed a new motherboard and vid card along with some new ram. I turn on my pc and it continuously restarts.
I reach the screen that prompts me to boot in safe mode, normally, or with last known good configuration. None work correctly and when I select any of them the windows xp loading screen starts for a split second then the computer restarts. Anybody know what could be causing this? Sorry if the specifics of my system are vague. I'm not sure what info is important and what isn't in this situation as I'm not even sure where to begin. Please help!

Did you reinstall a fresh copy of Windows, after you installed the new motherboard?

Wow, thanks for the help. Wouldn't have thought to try that since I don't remember having to do that last time I replaced the motherboard. Anyway. thanks again!
I do have another question now, though. Since I chose to install a fresh copy of windows, I now have 2 copies of windows xp on my hard drive. Is it safe for me to simply delete the older windows folder that didn't work with my new motherboard or is there a different, safer process to go about removing the old windows xp folder so that I don't have all that extra space tied up on my hard drive for no reason? Thanks!

you shouldve reformatted the drive first and installed a fresh copy on a clean hard drive.

Well, yes, I could've done that, but I would have lost way too much valuable stuff. Anyone got any suggestions I can use?

What I would do, is backup all your important data. Fully format your hard drive, and install Windows. If you simply just delete the other Windows folder, there could be some left, and might pose a problem.

Darn, was hoping there was an alternative to doing that. Alright, well thanks again for replying again. Will have to do that when I get around to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom