Computer Just Doesn't Start

bagelred

In Runtime
My father has an Acer AM3400-U2502 Desktop. It simply doesn't start up.

When you press the power button, the blue light Power Button lights up, so there is power getting to the computer. It FEELS like something is happening in the computer from listening and feeling the unit itself. Yet, there's nothing on the monitor, zero....meaning the monitor doesn't recognize anything is happening. To Power down, I simply hold Power Button for few seconds, and system shuts off.....

Just an FYI, the CD drive will open and close if pressed....again confirming that Power is getting to the system.

I thought maybe it was the monitor or wires leading to the monitor....however, I hooked up an older desktop with all same wires to the monitor, and everything worked perfect. So it seems to be the Acer Desktop unit itself.

No real problems or warnings on system before this as far as I know. System is about 3 years old.

Is it the CMOS battery? But wouldn't the computer at least start up if it was? If it is CMOS battery, how do I find out which one to buy?

So before bringing to a technician and actually spending money, hopefully you guys can help me diagnose and maybe fix myself, or determine if not worth fixing.......Thanks in advance.

Specs below:

Acer AM3400-U2502 Desktop
Windows 7 Home Premium
Processor: AMD Athlonâ„¢ II X2 Processor 215 (2 x 512KB L2 cache, 2.70GHz)
Chipset: AMD 880G
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333 SDRAM
Memory Capacity: up to 8GB
Hard Drive: 640GB SATA hard drive, 7200RPM
Optical Drive: Variable-speed Super-Multi drive:
Media Card Reader:
Video: Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 4250 graphics with Microsoft® DirectX® 11 support
Network: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)

First things first... have you replugged all the connections inside the computer?

Do you have a spare PCI-E graphics card to pop into it so you can check to see if the onboard graphics have crapped the bed?

You may want to pull the hard drive and connect it as an extra drive in another computer to check out its integrity and to run CHKDSK on it. The hard drive itself could be the culprit.

First things first... have you replugged all the connections inside the computer?

Do you have a spare PCI-E graphics card to pop into it so you can check to see if the onboard graphics have crapped the bed?

You may want to pull the hard drive and connect it as an extra drive in another computer to check out its integrity and to run CHKDSK on it. The hard drive itself could be the culprit.

Thanks for answering....

I took all the connections out of the unit and reattached all connections and no luck. Such as mouse, keyboard, ethernet, etc..... Or do you mean actually opening the unit itself INSIDE the computer? I haven't done that. Not tech savvy, so I wouldn't even know what to do or what to look for if I actually opened the case.

I have no other graphics card and I would have no idea how to do that anyway.....

Again, don't know how to disconnect hard drive.

Sounds like I need someone who could do these tasks for me, eh?

It is not as complicated as it sounds, actually.

Unplug the power cable and then hold the power button a couple of seconds. Open up the case then unplug and replug each internal connection.

If that doesn't work then you may want to see about enlisting some help, such as a shop, to test further.

Also, make sure the monitor's connection (both to the computer and to the monitor) are properly secured.

Do what Trotter suggested, or if you want to get somebody else to do it, you can try some other stuff in the meantime. Do you have another monitor that you can test to rule out the possibility of it being the monitor's fault?

Back
Top Bottom