Computer issues(presumably hardware ones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkEternal

Solid State Member
Well, I posted on countless forums, so this might very well be one more in the row.

So basically, my comp has cancer. A few months ago I had a complete meltdown with it due to the malfunction of the cooling system. Many parts literally burned within it which caused me to dish out quite a bit of cash for the new mother board, new hard disk and I added 512 more ram in it for good measure.

Well, everything seemed right but then with the entire new disk(a partition that is) it started to go all down hill. Comp would reset itself with no apparent reason from time to time at first. Then my messengers would start to log me off them randomly as well(Aim, Yahoo, MSN). After that torrents would start to reveal illegal operations and close down randomly. However, the most annoying one that appearead is that my comp would find CRC errors when trying to install/unpack most of the files(again, completely random and I know the files are good since I tried unpackin them on a friend's comp and they did just fine).

So, I formatted one of the disks, the main one and reinstalled windows. So far, the chat programs are working well, altough the comp still resets itself from time to time and it seems that the torrent thing keeps appearing once again(altough not on such a high level). However, the CRC errors/installation errors still persist(even when I manage to fully install World of Warcraft for instance, I still can't download the patch since when it comes to 99 percent it reports of "multiple errors", and when I tried downloading it from a third party site and succeded I still couldn't install the patch since it reported various errors) which makes it virtually impossible to do anything.

So any help on the matter would be much appreciated. I suspect a hardware error(I seriously hope it is not, since that is the last thing I want, to take it to repair once more, pay a lot of cash and then get a crappily repaired one back), perhaps the hard disk died on me(even though the Scan disk function didn't reveal any bad sectors).

If there is anything else I can post that can help, I would be glad to. Just a beginner with computers so I need to be guided through it. Thanks in advance.

do u have any kind of anti virus ??
i think that theres a worm,trojan or maybe a virus messing with u man !

Go into your control panel and open your Administrative Tools folder. Click on event viewer. In the left click on the verious tabs mainly System and Application. And see what is going on with your system.

For my antivirus I use Nod32, even though I used AVG free software before.

I have tried to go to that Adminstrative Tools section and found that there arem any "errors" and "warnings" under various aspects. I have tried to follow the solutions of them, but as usual the Microsoft related help topics leave a lot to be desired. Here are the errors that appear.

Under "Applications" the most often ones are "Application errors", there are also "Application hangs" warnings, "Event system" ones, VSS and "Load Perf" ones.

Under the System tab, there are: Ntfs errors, "System errors", "cdrom" errors, "W32time" erros, "Service control Manager" errors and "Dcom" errors.

Sorry that I can't be of more help, but the fact that my comp is acting like it has cancer(gradually more and more things cease to work) is worrying at the very least.

NTFS errors is normally an indication of your hard drive dying run check disk on it. Go to my computer right click c: choose properties. In the new screen that appears choose tools then check now. Check both boxes and click start, You will then need to restart your pc for check disk to run watch it for any errors if it says indexing entries or something.

Well, the scandisks found no errors, and I did the ntfs check in the command prompt. A few days ago it said that the C drive was "dirty", but now it says it is not. Completely at random.

List all Components.
The UBD (Free) and Symantec Ghost (""Free"" if you get my hint) have bootable tools where you can scan the Harddrive and see its SMART Status.
Hard Drive health (HDD) is a free Program that will show the status of the Drive while in the OS. Just google it.

Its either a bad harddrive, Bad memory, Motherboard going out or Bad PSU.
So for RAM Download and run Memtest 86.
For the PSU use a program or a DMM to test its voltages rails and Amperage.

Report Back

Thanks, I will do the others, just wanted to say that I already tried that memtest thing. Downloaded it, installed it on a floppy and then when it started with the rebooting of my system it lasted a long time. A really, really long time in scanning(about 8+ hours). I didn't know if that was normal so I cancelled it after that(there are some things in configuration that could be adjusted but I had no idea what to do with them). Anyway, during those 8 hours it found over 300 000 errors in that "Errors" bracket. What that means, I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom