Computer Issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oysterman

Beta member
I recently bought a new computer to replace one that was getting to slow for my standards . The only parts I transferred to my new build were the video card, DVD drive, and power supply. So now im my old computer i have

Mobo: P5N-SLI
CPU: C2D 1.86ghz
RAM: 2 GB DDR2
GPU: nvidia 7300
PSU: 450W (came with case)
HD: 250GB Western Digital

Now... seeing as how my DVD drive was gone, i decided to borrow one from another family PC for the time being to format my HD with WINXP. The optical drive i put in seemed REALLY slow loading the XP install disc, taking about 5 minutes to "configure my computers hardware" (may be part of the problem?) but the install went fine and it seemed like everything was good to go.

I reset my BIOS to default, made sure everything was detected (it was) and set IDE Primary Master (HD) to boot first. When i restarted the computer the BIOS came up fine, then i was greeted by a black screen with a flashing underscore... This screen is as far as i have gotten. There is no errors being reported or weird noises coming from my machine, It just wont boot into XP.

I have tried multiple optical drives and 3 other Harddrives, and ALL of them do the same thing. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I am new and just need some help getting this running. If anyone can shed some advice it would be much appreciated

Could be a problem with the XP disc; check for any scratches and if you have a lint-free cloth or something similar to clean the disc, use it. Or try another disc.

Are you able to try installing any other OSs? i.e. put Linux on a disc and see if you can install that.

Make sure your jumpers are correct, if you have your CD drive and Harddrive on the same IDE cable then make sure one is set to master and the other to slave or put them both on CS...just a thought, if they are on different cables try to place them on the same one? just as a guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom