computer issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ducky

Beta member
Ok so here is what happened. It was running when i fell asleep, when i woke it was shut down. i tired to start it and it wouldn't load windows. Well i had the hd formatted and tired to reinstall windows with no luck. i cant get it to install. any ideas?

Well with the shutoff issue I would assume that it didn't shut down properly or didn't finish installing something (like an update) before it shut off because of heat or going into hibernation.

As for reinstallation that really doesn't make any sense. How are you trying to install windows? What OS are you trying to install? How does it 'not' install, like what error messages?

I agree with Lex. What is the error message received when trying to install your OS? Are you sure you have it set to boot from CD first in your BIOS?

I cant remember the error messages. but i am using a boot disk for vista, i have also tried xp. When i tried to start the computer after it had shut down, it said it was missing a boot file.

There are a couple of things that I can think of off of the top of my head in regards to your attempt to fresh install an OS. If you have a faulty stick of RAM, which could pass POST, you will have trouble getting an OS installed. You could also consider the possibility that the HDD has failed, both of these possibillities can be explored via UBCD. Good luck!

Did it say the MBR was missing? Did it say that some other file was missing? What boot file did it say was missing? Which OS are you trying to repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom