Computer Humming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extreme112

In Runtime
Before m computer never hummed once except when using the cd-rom drive. Now it seems to hum when running powerful programs. It will hum for about 5 secs then stop, then hum again in about 2 mins when running intensive programs. Is this normal?

Nope haven't dusted it out lately. Come to think of it, I never dusted it out in the 3 yrs I've owned this PC. I guess I will soon cause I ordered new PSU from newegg.

I never dusted it out in the 3 yrs I've owned this PC
:omg:

I generally recommend inspecting monthly, and cleaning as necessary to keep the inevitable blanket of heat trapping dust from building up. This is especially true if there is smoking or pets (especially cats) near the computer.

Be sure to unplug from the wall, and touching bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static before reaching in and frequently thereafter.

9 out of 10 says this is your issue, had the same problem. In 3 years you will see an extensive amount of dust, dead bugs, hair from pets, etc etc. And as Digerati stated, smoking near a computer is also an issue as well. All these things clog the fan causing it to become louder.

Luckily for me my step-father owns one of those compressed air machines for tires and such that you plug into the wall, a bit powerful, but as long as your careful its an endless amount of compressed air xP. Took me a good 7-10 minutes to completely rid my PC of all the dust and stuff and now its as silent as it was when it was bought 4 years ago :p.

Luckily for me my step-father owns one of those compressed air machines
I have one too that I use for computers and other electronics. However, because there is no way to prevent moisture from condensing inside the tank and mixing with oils and other debris, NEVER use an air compressor on electronics unless it is equipped with a suitable moisture and particulate filter such as one of these. Otherwise, you risk spewing rusty, oily contaminated water on your sensitive electronics. Not good! Also, use a Popsicle stick or something similar to hold the fans stationary while blasting. The compress air can easily spin a fan faster than designed limits, damaging the bearings. And of course, take the computer outside to blast clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom