Computer help - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to jrdwstfll
Default Computer help

ok, this is the situation and what i;ve tried and nothing seems to work.. want to get everyone else's opinion.

First, I just got back from college and before college it worked fine. When I was gone my parents moved it like 10 feet.

Ok now for what happened, the first time I turned it on it worked, but ran EXREMELY slow. So i tried rebooting it and then got what I have now. It starts and then won;t load windows it fills up the bars to start windows (if you know what I mean) then it goes to the windows logo and restarts. IT does that everytime. I tried each memory individually to see if it was that and it's not. The only other thing i can think of is a corrupt windows.

Let me know what you guys think and anything else I could do before I do the long process of putting another windows on it.

thanks

Old 12-28-2006, 01:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Do you get BSOD? If the computer was moved and accidently dropped, you may have a damaged hard drive. If you have another hard drive, I would jumper the old HD as a slave, reinstall windows on the new drive and salvage your data that way. Otherwise, if you do not need the data currently on the drive I would do a fresh install of XP. Additionally, check the IDE or SATA cable connectin on that drive and make sure it is secure. Can you Enter Safe Mode? Hit F8 at post and select Safe Mode with networking. If you can enter Safe Mode, do a system restore for a date prior to when the puter was moved. Tell your parents, "Leave my &%^# alone!!!"

Old 12-28-2006, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to jrdwstfll

yea safe mode doesn't work... my hard drive with windows on it has no data i need.. i have a slave drive with all my data

when the computer restarts.. i see a quick flash of blue.. so i guess i get a BSOD