Computer Fried? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2006, 01:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to coruscadragon Send a message via Yahoo to coruscadragon
Default Computer Fried?

After installing Neverwinter Nights (from a DVD image with Deamon Tools, incedentaly) i started the game, but had no sound. Exiting the program, i found that nothing else would make any sound. Trying to start WMP netted me an "Internal application error" message. I tried various methods for solving this issue found online, but nothing seemed to work. The next day, my computer froze while i was using it, though it worked on a restart, i continued looking for a solution to no avail, and on the third day, my computer would no longer start.

When trying to start it, all i recieved was a rapid-fire beeping sound. I was advised to reset the BIOS by a friend, so i did, following the guide on this forum. Now it makes a different sound when i attempt to start up (beeps of about 8 sec in length, with an interval of about 4~5 sec in between) but it still doesn't display anything on the screen.

I'm afraid something hard-ware related has died or shorted out, as the USB mouse that was plugged into it when it died doesn't work when i plug it into my laptop (doesn't even find the device). Not sure what steps to take at this point... Any insight into my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!
Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

Hello, and welcome to Tech-Forums! well this cant be good. pc specs would be a big help(eg: mobo make/model, how much ram, type/brand/speed of processor, graphics card make/model(if appliable) psu Watts).

Listen to my music! and random/funny videos XD
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Old 10-29-2006, 01:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to coruscadragon Send a message via Yahoo to coruscadragon

ok... sorry, it's actaually a rather new computer (2nd owner), so i'm not intimately familiar with the specs, and i'm kind of a newb as far as comp hardware goes... =/

1) ok, the motherboard apears to be a Dragon motherboard by Soyo, but I'm not sure where to look for the model number...?

2) the RAM is a 512MB Geil PC3200 DDR400

3) prossesor is an Intel Pentium 4 2.48 GHZ

4) graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9700PRO

5) The PSU wattage appears to be 500 watts. I couldn't actually find this written anywhere on the unit, but i looked up the model (Norwood Micro Power Switching Supply ISO-500) online and that's what it was rated as...
Old 11-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default bump for help?

...any further ideas?

when i get home i think i will just start removing components untill i can (hopefully) figure out whats causing the problem... the fact that the mouse is also fried makes me really wonder...

i wish i had a little better idea what i was doing....
Closed Thread