Computer Freezing, Won't Boot from HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

eonblueapocalypse

Solid State Member
I'm pretty sure that I know what the problem is, but I would like a second opinion before I go out and buy a new part.

Ok, so. My computer had been freezing up for about 30 seconds to a minute since this last weekend, I tried cleaning the registry, installing a hotfix given out by microsoft that was supposed to address the problem, and then I decided to re-install Windows (I have Windows 7 64-bit, I will get to hardware specifications in a minute), none of these had stopped the problem and had only been temporary cures. I have also tried updating all of my hardware components to their latest drivers, which didn't help, and also updating Windows to its latest, which also didn't help. I have looked everywhere trying to find an answer to what was causing my problem, there were no error reports, CCleaner came up clean every time, but CHKDSK would always come up with errors and corrupted files after I ran it. This caused me to believe that maybe my hard-drive was the source of the problem, I also remember reading that many people would use a different one an then it solved the problem. I wasn't so sure until a few minutes ago when my computer failed to boot up from my HDD.

Do you guys think that maybe my HDD is the source of the problem? I mean, I can't get on my computer anyways to run tests to show you, because it won't boot. Thanks for any help in advance.

System Specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945
HDD: Western Digital Blue Caviar 1TB HDD
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 1333 4GB
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-M evo
Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce ENGTX 460
PSU: can't remember brand and too lazy and tired too look right now, 600W though.
Optical Drive: just your run-of-the mill CD/DVD ROM Drive

I already ran memtest and I have extra RAM sticks in my drawer anyways (same one as in the pc, for some reason they wont all work on the mobo.) Thanks for your input, probably gonna get a new HDD, anyone have any suggestions for that? (preferably 500GB or above, and less that $80 as I am broke for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom