Computer freezing/system failure boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkingman

Baseband Member
I just posted this but my thread seemed to have vanished so sorry if I've double posted.

As the title suggests I'm struggling to boot up my pc. I get the system boot failure but when I hit the reset button it seemed to boot up okay. After a few days of doing this it's now completely deteriorated to the point where it's taking me 20 attempts to boot the pc up but not with just the system boot failure, but I'm now hearing beeping sounds and my HD making a clicking sound.

When the pc does finally boot up it just locks up or freezes constantly, no matter what I'm doing, like gaming or just surfing the net.

I'm guessing it's the HD as it was making some strange sounds and it's about 4 years old, but I would like some other opinions as I'm no tech.

Vista32
2gig 800mhz RAM
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 @2.66Ghz 2.67Ghz
MAXTOR 250gb SATA2 8mb
ASUS P5N-D nForce 750i SLI socket 775

This is the last error I got -

0x6F_C0000185_nt!StartFirstUserProcess+3f
BlueScreen
None

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini031311-01.dmp C:\Windows\Temp\WER-153005-0.sysdata.xml C:\Windows\Temp\WER5994.tmp.version.txt
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report0806b77c

Thanks for your help.

Well, I put a new HD in and now the pc has no power to it at all. It wont boot up, no fans come on, nothing. Dead. The MB light is on though. I tried putting the old HD back in and still nothing, no power. Completely dead. I don't think I mentioned, in the above post, that when I went into the BIOS it wasn't reading the HD which is one of the reasons why I thought that was the problem.

Lots of views on the thread but no suggestions. Help please, I'm completeltly at a loss and I don't want to spend another penny on it until I have a better idea of whats going on. I've already spent a small fortune on it in the last 6 months.

Aright, I looked at ytour post you said you heard beep codes right ?
If you get 3 beeps and a long one that means it's a ram problem directly.
Test your hdd, in another pc and see if you can't get it to boot up, also check to make hdd smsart is enabled.
If the other pc picks up on the hdd and says " uh oh the hdd is giving way soon" please slave it and get your files off it quickly, take only the important files that you need anyting over 4gbs is not worth it when it's time critical..

Last check into your psu test that on another pc, if you get the same problem like on your current pc that might need to be replaced and I recommend something affordable to help out in that area.
Especially since your using a sli enabled mobo.

Thanks for the reply.

It's not a ram problem.

What is smsmart enabled?

I'm not worried about losing info on my old HD because I already backed stuff up when it started behaving strangely.

If I test out my HD on somebody elses pc, will I have to reformat the original HD when I put it back in? I don't want to mess there HD up. Or is it as simple as just plugging it back in and booting up the pc?

Could you or anybody else recommend a PSU to go with my MB?

If it can fully access the hdd and reformat and don't receive any type of errors while doing so, you should be fine in the mean time, I do recommend looking into a better one which I'll give you.

Even though this PSU is 59.00 with free shipping this will handle your mobo and your current video card setup.
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
I had a antec in the past and they are quite good and don't go kaboom when overloaded too hard.
If this psu is good and dies which is highly unlikely the most it will do is shut down the pc without knocking any hardware or data.

Look into this western digital hdd as I have one running in my pc, and still works like gold since september.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

There is another one for 39.99 but with 32mb cache on this you will get more out of this hdd with read times and write times.

Thanks for the info.

Will that PSU you linked me too fit my MB okay? I have a 4 pin connection to my MB (sorry, don't know the technical term).

And I forgot to mention in the OP that I'm not using SLI , I'm just using a single GTS250.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom