Computer Freezing during intense application use

Status
Not open for further replies.

robdarftw

Baseband Member
I was unsure of where to post this under, however, with my troubleshooting thus far, Im seeming to think that it might be a hardware issue.

My problem is this: During gameplay, occasionally my computer will completely freeze up and be inoperable until powercycled. What I mean by this, is that, when I am in the middle of playing a game (or when loading multiplayer maps in SC2), everything will just freeze up. I lose all audio and keyboard and mouse activity, and I get no continued activity on the screen. Power is still going to my computer, and everything seems to be on and functioning physically. The only way to temporarily resolve this issue is to power cycle my computer, and then I launch Windows again and then the game. Sometimes it will resolve the issue, and other times, it will freeze again. I have only seen this happening in several games of mine (BFBC2 and SC2) however, others like RIFT do not seem to be affected. I checked all my temperatures for my hardware, and noticed everything is within standard safe operating levels, even under load. The video card is not getting hot and uses specified fan speed levels when it reaches certain temperatures. The only thing I noticed, is that Core #0 of my processor seems to get around 75c when under load, however, the rest of my processor is running around 48c under load. Therefore, I re-formatted my harddrives (x2 1TB WD drives in Raid 0) and re-installed Windows. After getting everything up and running with the most up-to-date drivers for EVERYTHING, I installed the games again, and sure to find out, after some time in game, it froze up again. I ran several tests, like MEMTEST and a harddrive test provided by WD and everything came back normal. So now I'm wondering, what could it be thats causing these freezes. If it was the processor core overheating, I would think the fail safe would be to shut down the computer, however, I noticed that the CPU is still running as if it were under load at the 48c range temperatures, even after it freezes (I have an on-board LED temp reading on my mobo).I have also re-applied thermal paste and attempted to re-seat the heatsink on the mobo, however, nothing has changed.
Any suggestions or ideas to remedy this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my specs:
MOBO: EVGA X58 chipset FTW3 socket 1366
CPU: Core i7 960 3.2ghz (Not Overclocked)
GPU: EVGA GTX 580
MeM: 16gb DDR3 mem clocked at 1066mhz
PSU: 1000w Corsair
HDD: x2 1TB WD 7200rpm in raid 0

Try downclocking your memory card.

Also, try some GPU stress tests (3DMark is one that comes to mind, or just search for some other ones).

If it still does it when downclocked, try a different card if possible (or just RMA your current one to cout it out).

Otherwise, maybe look to the PSU like Thomas suggested.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a Corsair CMPSU-1000HX 1000-Watt Power Supply Form Factor: ATX
Wattage: 1000W
Fan: 140 mm
+3.3V: 30 A
+5V: 30 A
+12V 1: 40 A
+12V 2: 40 A
-12V: 0.8 A
+5VSB: 3.5 A

Now I dont think its a PSU issue, and heres why. What I have noticed is that, when I am playing SC2, during loading of maps, the computer will freeze. I will lose all audio, mouse activity, keyboard, and everything is locked up. Now before this happened, I had a bunch of stuff on my desktop. I had several icons that I had moved to a particular area. When I restarted, they were back to their original place, as if it didnt even happen, or that when it froze, it went back to a safe point. Im also wondering this. I have both my harddrives in Raid 0. They are both 1TB drives individually, however, Windows is detecting the raid as 1.81TB. Im wondering if it might be a problem with the drives and windows detection of the raid causing a conflict.

Try what I suggested... It could also be a sign of your RAID failing, or your HDD's failing in general. You could run some HDD tests on it to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom