Computer Freezing/Crashing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

So1dier

Baseband Member
I just bought my computer yesterday and it's worked perfectly up until today. All I have done is updated drivers and downloaded 2 games. Yesterday I tried out Team Fortress 2 and played it for about 2 minutes and it worked perfectly. All I have done today is installed World of Warcraft and after it was done I tried playing that. For 20 minutes it worked perfectly and then it froze. At first I thought it was my video card overheating because this is the first thing I have done besides the short TF2 session that has been graphics intensive. I restarted my computer, logged in, and it froze again. Then after about 15 seconds it started working again and a little alert popped up in the bottom right saying AMD drivers have failed but have been recovered. I didn't really pay attention to that but because it froze so quickly I thought it was just still hot and overheating.

I waited an hour and turned the air conditioning on in my house cause it was about 84 degrees and I thought it might help. I started up windows a few more times and it kept freezing, and giving me that same AMD driver error. So now I called my friend and he said to try doing some memory tests or full system scans but I have no clue where to start. I did try updating my drivers for my RADEON XFX 5870 card from the newest one 10.6 in June to the 10.5 version from May and so far it hasn't crashed, but I am about to start up World of Warcraft in a little bit and see what happens.

Does anyone know what the issue might be?

Alright so I got the 10.5 driver and my computer gave me a weird screen while playing wow. Just striped vertical bars on my monitor but I could still hear the audio of the game.I restarted the computer and in the start up screen there was a box saying that there might be issues with overclocking. It showed a box with my cpu and ram speed. It gave me a solid black screen after that so I restarted. I went into my bios and before I could change the ram setting it gave me a solid blue screen, I restarted and it happened again. I restarted and went into bios and change the ram speed from 1600 back to 1333 and saved and quit before anything bad happened that time. When it tried booting up again I got a weird screen with crazy white pixels and lines flying up the screen. On the next restart nothing happened. I realized I hadn't updated windows yet so I installed all windows 7 updates. After those were installed I restarted and I still got weird visual effects on the start up screens like white pixels and white lines flying from the bottom to the top of the screen. The computer kinda froze a couple time on the log in screen, then resumed after about 15 seconds. I'm not sure what it could be but changing the ram back to the default 1333MHz speed, changing the driver update to my video card from the 10.6 to the 10.5 update, and getting windows updates didn't help, I'm still getting issues.

Does anyone know what's going on?

I ran the memtest86+ and I got 0 errors for memory.

Download and run HWMonitor and post a screenshot that shows all the values big enough for us to read.
HWMonitor

And please list all of the components in your PC, as in cpu, mobo, video, power and your OS so we know what were dealing with.

System Manufacturer/Model Number
N/A

OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4

Memory
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 1280

Graphics Card(s)
XFX HD-587X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT)

Sound Card
N/A

Monitor(s) Displays
Acer P235Hbmid Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Screen Resolution
1920x1080

Hard Drives
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

PSU
Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W

Case
Antec Nine Hundred Two

Cooling
4 case fans

Keyboard
Razer Arctosa

Mouse
Razer Imperator

Internet Speed
Cable 10Gbs

Other Info
N/A

I just opened my case and made sure all my pieces were plugged in, I even unplugged my GPU from the pci-e2.0 slot and plugged it back in. And switched my 2 ram sticks from the 2 blue slots closest to the CPU to the 2 white slots farthest away from the CPU. I also am using the second DVI slot on the end of the graphics card instead of the first one in case the first one was bad.

In the bios under PC Heath tab it said my cpu temperature was about 35 degrees celcius. On the desktop it also says my gpu temp is 31 degrees celcius.

Untitled-1.jpg

Alright well I just played world of warcraft for about 30 minutes, I got one weird screen flash in the game but it hasn't frozen yet. I just alt tabbed out to post on these forums and say everything was working pretty good but I opened the browser and right before I clicked bookmarks the computer flashed weird pixel colors(like blotches of squares throughout the screen), then froze for about 3 seconds, then the screen turned pure white for about 3 seconds. The system sounded like it was about to power down but then it kicked back in and powered up and it started to working again. This is the usual cycle it goes through when it freezes in windows. But when it freezes in games the screen gets all messed up and I haven't waited more then 2 minutes for it to start working again so I would just restart.

While gaming my CPU never went over 40 degrees c and my GPU never went over 50 degrees C.

My computer is failing to synchronize the time online also... and it won't load pandora.com anymore??!?!??!

I think I'm about to try reformatting.

A couple of your Voltages are LOW. I would suspect your Power Supply is Defective or underpowered. Antec is normally a very good company but every now and then even they ship out a defective unit.

34429293.jpg

Sweet, thanks for the help, I'm going to replace my power supply and hope that it fixes it. Because it was running at such a low voltage would it have harmed any of my other hardware or is that usually not an issue?

Now I'm getting confused. I had my friend check his computer voltages cause his computer is working perfectly.

His -12v is giving off -3.78 -6 -3.78
His -5v is giving off -13 -13 -13
His +5V VCCH is giving off 4 4 4

I don't even have a -5v?!??!?!
And his are even more jacked up then mine, and his computer runs perfectly. Is hardware monitor just extremely inaccurate then? Or is it just mixing up the values of his -12v and -5v.

Can you post a screenshot of your values please.

It an be, get ahold of a digital multimeter and test it properly.
Just checked mine, and I'm at

12V - 10.38V 5V - 4.85V and my 3.3V - 3.23V

So mine are right close.

I don't have the other stuff.

It an be, get ahold of a digital multimeter and test it properly.
Just checked mine, and I'm at

12V - 10.38V 5V - 4.85V and my 3.3V - 3.23V

So mine are right close.

I don't have the other stuff.

Hopefully Best Buy will have a digital multimeter I can use for free in the geek squad area. I've never even heard of those.

And mine are close to, it was the -12v -5v -5V VCCH that I was concerned with. Again, a screen shot would be very helpful. Btw, thank you everyone for trying to help me figure this out, I'm sure you all know how frustrating it is to get a computer that isn't working and not knowing what is wrong.

This is a multi meter....... You must have seen these
pRS1-7922775w345.jpg

My screen would be useless as i don't have a - 12,3 or 5

Ya I googled it but I've never seen it in real life. Anyways why does your power supply have no -12 or -5? So a power supply doesn't need those values to run? Cause those are my defective values but if they aren't important I don't know why my computer is having issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom