Computer freezes won't restart until its been left off for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekC1990

Baseband Member
Here is my complete system:
Mother Board: Newegg.com - MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX
Hard-Drive Primary: Newegg.com - Plextor PX-128M1S 2.5" 128GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Hard-Drive Secondary: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Video/Graphics Card: Newegg.com - ASUS EAH4870/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
RAM: Newegg.com - A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-2G
Power Supply Unit: Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7
DVD/CD Drive: Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Wireless Card: Newegg.com - EDIMAX EW-7128G IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, AES
Monitor: Amazon.com: AOC 2436VW 24" Widescreen HD Monitor: Computer & Accessories
Keyboard:Amazon.com: Logitech Illuminated Ultrathin Keyboard with Backlighting: Electronics
Mouse: Amazon.com: Razer Naga MMOG Laser Gaming Mouse: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

Here is my problem:
My computer randomly freezes, this can be anywhere from after being on for 5 minutes to 5 weeks... but when it happens it won't start back up until its been left off for at least 1 to 5 minutes. It will turn on mind you, it just won't get past the motherboard posting screen (where it has the motherboard logo and all that good junk).

What I think:
It sounds to me like something on the motherboard is heating up and then a connection is coming loose from the expansion of the metals due to heat but not sure.

What I'd like:
Suggestions on what to try to do to trouble shoot it, if I can figure out what is wrong I have no problem replacing a part.

Also let us know if the computer does a post beep or any other type of beep codes, that can tell us further where the problem might be.

When I try to start it after a crash it sometimes doesn't beep at all or it beeps once (normally not at all). Once it finally does start up its a single beep.

Here is the screenshot so you can see what it runs heated up (been on for about 10 hours apx? No heavy load, just idling with a screensaver on): http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3964/specsq.jpg

Another thing, running windows xp service pack 2 (solid state doesn't have trim support if that affects anything).

Your video card and hard drive are both running warmer than they should at an idle. I suspect your video card is overheating and shutting the system down and not restarting until it has cooled off.

Try using a SSD Wiper on your drive.

How would I go about cooling down the graphics card (I already have a crap ton of fans..)

EDIT: My video card is at the very bottom of the case, with the fan facing down... no ventilation down there, I just removed 2 back side slot covers from below it and its now sitting at about 51 *C (123 *F) under light to medium load. Before it was 61+ at idle :D

I'll let you know if this fixes the random crashes... note: it can take weeks for me to figure out lol...

The picture u posted shows a problem with your +5V voltage. Its only 4.67V. should be between 4.9 and 5.1 , and readings on picture are in idle?! :umm::confused:
Your PSU could be blocking startup or some voltage realeted component.:big_smile:

The picture u posted shows a problem with your +5V voltage. Its only 4.67V. should be between 4.9 and 5.1 , and readings on picture are in idle?! :umm::confused:
Your PSU could be blocking startup or some voltage realeted component.:big_smile:

Well it was running a screen saver... but I don't think my screensaver is that graphics intense...

Uhmm the +5V, would that possibly be because I have a connection plugged into the wrong area from powersupply to something or would that just be I need to do a RMA on the power supply?

EDIT: Removed 2 more slot covers below the GPU, its down to 46 *C (116 *F) under small to mid load.

EDIT2: I'll remove my screen saver, restart the PC and just let it idle overnight to get a true benchmark reading tonight :D

Try some other PSU or borow it from friend (use one with same power as your current one) ... if voltage stays at 4.67 then something is draining the power away and maybe its not PSU... Also u could check if its freezing or working normal with new one .(if u find one).:thumbsup:

Before u RMA it check that voltages with some other software like everest.. maybe its a bad reading....:crazy: Check voltages in BIOS first.:thumbsup:

Here is after letting it run all night idling with the minor case modifications and no screen saver: http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7608/benchmarkt.jpg
Under load last night it was hovering about the same heat... Maybe I just need a case with better ventilation lol.

Anyways I'm not so sure its the graphics card overheating, but it might be. I've heard of people running this card up to 90* C without having to power off (but maybe they are just full of crap?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom