Computer Freezes When I Install New RAM - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried reseting the CMOS by changing the Pins but it still booted up with just Beeps.

Yes that pic is definetly the Motherboard I'm using. I also tried removing the CMOS battery and putting it back in but that didn't do anything either.

Edit: I didn't do exactly what it said to reset the CMOS.. I just turned it off and moved the jumpers and restarted it.. I'm not home right now (had to drive to a comp at school) so I can't do it atm.. But any suggestions would help.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
Monster Techie

try to reset it as shown in the picture , if it wont work then try booting with only 1 stick of ram and if that wont work then try it again but with the other brand..

edit i meant if your sure you got the mobo thats in the link you provided on the first post

Old 05-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'll try that.. Do you really think it's a RAM issue? and one more Question is my Bios gone? or is something just not opperating correctly. Cause I can't even get to BIOS now.. Just constantly beeps
Old 05-11-2006, 04:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Monster Techie

yeah usally it wont beep if the bios is dead it will just bootup with a blank screen+the bios have a protection feature called "boot block" when an update goes bad it should show some boot block message and let you boot from a floppy for reflashing
Old 05-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Newb Techie

K.. Then its GOTTA be a RAM or Resetting the CMOS issue.. I'm going to go home and try this Thank you very much
Old 05-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well it doesn't appear like it worked. I brought it in to the Best buy shop and they told me the Mobo was pretty screwed up so I guess i'm going to replace it.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Monster Techie

sorry to hear that , i suggest youll get a mobo of a more reliable brand i recommend dfi/msi/asus/abit , chaintech apparently have crappy quality control , considering you provided the correct link and the bios/update tool was from their site for that specific mobo it should have worked perfectly but it didnt+the boot block protection should have kicked in

Closed Thread