Computer freezes and mouse still moves

steve10765

Daemon Poster
Hi guys, I have decided to attack a problem again that I have had since I build this comp( 8 months or so). Please read this
http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/computer-freezes-mouse-still-moves-262819/
And then come back and continue reading this post.

I have narrowed it down since that other post. When the computer starts(A fresh start, not coming out of hibernation), it freezes 2-5 min later. I had been tackling this problem by hibernating my computer about 3 - 4 times whenever I start it, and that would stop the computer from crashing.
When I go in safe mode with networking the computer wont freeze at all. The hibernation trick doesn't work as much now though, U think corruption id building up or somethings. It only works around 25% of the time now .So I know its a process thats causing my computer to freeze, now I need help narrowing it down. What do you guys think it is?
Here are my processes when I am in Safe mode
Safe Mode.PNG (26 processes)

And here they are when I normally start my computer
Normal 1.PNG
normal 2.PNG
(56)

please help!

Last edited:
Yea I really don't know how I can help.
All I can offer is to disable Windows servces.
List of Windows 7 services that are safe to disable!

To add to that:
Volume shadow copy service
Microsoft copy service
Superfetch

AODAssist is overdrive. Go ahead and disable that, as well as keep the program off for testing. If you are using it to OC, shame on you.

Although I doubt it's causing any issues, the Rosetta service.

You can also go into msconfig and under startup disable all startup programs.

Does event viewer log any errors? I don't think it is something you can necessarily just see in processes.

Video cards can cause freezing with mouse still moving. Maybe verify your driver is up to date and the card is compatible with power supply and mobo.

try running your pc in safe mode for a while and see if it locks up, if it does then it is most likely a hardware issue. If you do not get any lock ups in safe mode then your need to look at the software or one of your drivers

Video cards can cause freezing with mouse still moving. Maybe verify your driver is up to date and the card is compatible with power supply and mobo.
This was covered in his last thread extensively.

try running your pc in safe mode for a while and see if it locks up, if it does then it is most likely a hardware issue. If you do not get any lock ups in safe mode then your need to look at the software or one of your drivers

When I go in safe mode with networking the computer wont freeze at all.

must have missed that one... didn't give enough time for the the caffeine kick in this morning before I posted.

Another option is to look at the reliability history and see if that shows any thing
Just type in reliability in the search box on windows 7

must have missed that one... didn't give enough time for the the caffeine kick in this morning before I posted.

Another option is to look at the reliability history and see if that shows any thing
Just type in reliability in the search box on windows 7
Same. I woke up to having no milk. Black coffee doesn't do it for me.

I don't think it's a logable issue simply because of the last thread. When he asked me to check and pitch in I remembered the thread from a while ago.

I personally think it's OC based or bad piece of hardware.

Won't hurt to look anyway...

If it's o/c'd then that could be an issue. I think I read in the previous thread that the OP had an SSD drive, upgrading the firmware on that might be something to check too. If it doesn't lock up in safemode...then I don't see how it can be hardware related.
It's not totally impossible that it is not hardware related....try removing everything off the motherboard, all un-necessary pci/pci-e cards, leave only one memory stick and cpu/heatsink/fan. If it has on board video use that and remove the video card, run it and if you get no lock ups, then add one device at a time until it locks up on you

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom