Computer freezes with more than 2GB ram - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Computer freezes with more than 2GB ram

Hello tech-people!
So, here's my issue. A few weeks ago, i decided to reinstall windows because my computer was getting a little slow and clunky. At this point, my computer has been running crash-free for almost 2 years with 8GB memory. So after formatting and all that, i load up WoW and BAM, computer freezes. After this happening several times, i take out 1 module at a time (i have 4x2GB DD2 - transcend). It only seams stable when i have 1 2GB stick in. Ive been trolling forums and google for a long time, and havent found a concrete solution. So here I am, at the mercy of you people to help me out!

Here's a list of what ive done:

- Updated all drivers - Not bios, because everytime i flash it, i mess up my CMOS and have to buy a new mobo
- Increased the voltage to my RAM
- Ran 3x successful memtest86 on all ram
- Rotated 2GB memory through all 4 ram slots - no crashes

My computer specs:
Mobo: ASUS p5k SE/EPU
Processor: Intel core 2 duo E8400 - 3ghz
Memory: 4x2GB Transcend DDR2 800
Graphics card: GeForce 9600GT
PSU: Antec 550W

PS: The freezing isnt a blue screen or random reboot. Everything just locks up and I dont even get any response from my mouse.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to RichM499 Send a message via Yahoo to RichM499
Default Re: Computer freezes with more than 2GB ram

You say "3x successful memtest86 on all ram" is that 3 passes? You should let it run overnight, or for at least a few hours to be 100% sure.

What are the temps in your system?
HWMonitor will give you a general idea what your temps are.
If anything exceeds 60c when sitting on the desktop that could be the problem.

Silly question, is everything seated properly? I have been fixing computers for people for more than 10 years, and I had this problem just yesterday. My graphics card wasn't seated properly and it was rebooting/crashing.

I don't know what the problem is, but this will at least narrow it down a little.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Computer freezes with more than 2GB ram

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah, that means ive ram a memtest86 scan on all 4 sticks with 2 passes 3 times... And nothing came up. I'll try overnight tonight I suppose, but that doesnt explain why 1 stick works (any stick) and any combination of them crashes.

My system temps are all <40c so those are ok, and everything is seated just fine.

Anything else you can think of?
Closed Thread