Computer freezes during boot-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

poveren

Baseband Member
So here's what happened, the details are a little vague because I wasn't home when this happened and my mom doesn't know much about computers so her description is sketchy.

She got on the computer, turned it on, a blue screen went on with disk checking messages, she figured that disk means cd, and opened my dvd-rom, took out the movie that i was watching, and reset the computer during that disk check, from the on , the computer would freeze about 4-5 seconds after power on. I really hope I could fix this without formatting my HD.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

So here's what happened, the details are a little vague because I wasn't home when this happened and my mom doesn't know much about computers so her description is sketchy.

She got on the computer, turned it on, a blue screen went on with disk checking messages, she figured that disk means cd, and opened my dvd-rom, took out the movie that i was watching, and reset the computer during that disk check, from the on , the computer would freeze about 4-5 seconds after power on. I really hope I could fix this without formatting my HD.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Does it complete the POST?
What error messages do you get, if any?

There's a message that says press del to enter setup, press tab to see post message, when I press tab (asap), nothing happens, when I press del, it jumps to the next page, showing the cpu speed, ram etc., saying entering setup..., but nothing happens, so i'm sure its frozen by then as well.

Is there any way to fix it without formatting/getting a new HD? I really need to recover a few files from it.

Try to hit F8 upon booting up to get into the safe mode screen. then select last known good configuration. If it wont work try the same but select safe mode. and once in safe mode try a system restore.

thats the thing, I'm able to press del and then f8 fast enough, however it freezes before I'm able to get the to the safe mode screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom