Computer Freeze Problem i have learned to live with !

Status
Not open for further replies.

anupam_bhatt

Beta member
I have faced this problem since last six years. Lets say "I have learned to live with it".
Since the day i bought this computer, it just freezes whenever i try to play a sound file [any format .wav,.mp3].
The same problem occurs whenever i play a video [ again with sound].

This happens with all kinds of OS that i installed Win 98, Win Xp and even Linux.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing the correct drivers for all peripherals [Video card and Sound primarily], but the problem exists.[ Even with the drivers given in the manufacturers CD].

Recently i tried to debug the problem once again, and played with IRQ's a bit. What i observe now is, as soon as i enable the Onboard IRQ for USB, the problem occurs, but when it is disabled, the problem doesn't seem to occur.i.e.Sound and videos play perfectly. But i need the USB for my Webcam and the ADSL modem to run :(

I tried disabling a lot of unused devices to free up the IRQ's but the problem exists.
I trried reducing the hardware acceleration for both video and sound but the problem exists.

The problem has also occured without a reason, i.e. without playing a sound file explicitly.

Also sometimes full songs and movies play without a glitch.
I have tried re-installing the OS's , drivers etc innumberable no of times in the last six years.
When i had bought this computer loaded with Wiindows 98 the system even used to freeze with some characters on screen Half Drawn. << i have never seen this kind of partial character/graphics drawn in case of system freeze.

I would like to mention that the Manufacturer had changed the motherboard and HDD when i bought this computer, just to be assured that the Motherboard and HDD were not the faulty ones.

Now i have a few questions regarding this problem :

1) Is the audio adapter which i have in my computer [Cmi 8330/c3d] faulty one? {But the motherboard had been changed twice.}

2) Is this particular model of the Audio adapter has issues. {I tried searching for this info but couldn't get much clue.}

3) does this particular model of the audio adapter Causes problems, when Trident AGP 9750 is also installed? [ Just a guess]

4) If IRQ sharing is the problem .. then how can i resolve it ? { i dont see any IRQ resource conflicts :( }

5) Last question : Will i ever be able to get out of this System freeze probelm ? :(

Additional Information
----------------------------
System Information :Operating System: Windows XP (SP 1)
Computer Make: Vintron
Processor: 300 MHz Intel Celeron A
Memory: 128 MB
Screen Resolution: 800 by 600
Web Browser: Firefox, IE
MotherBoard: Jetway with "Via " Chipset
On-Board Integrated Sound: CMI 8330/C3D Adapter
AGP: Trident 9750 [4 MB]
Antivirus : Norton Antivius 2005
FireWall: Winxp Default Firewall
Internet Through: USB ADSL Modem

Sounds like other than that you need more memory, XP needs about 256MB to be ok. I feel sorry for your old computer :-\

Now, it could be the adapter, but are you sure the adapter is compatible with .mp3 and .wav files? I would double-check. You could get an add-in PCI adapter if possible.

I would defiantly upgrade your memory like the other post said. My second desktop computer has XP on it with 128 MB of RAM and it always freezes. 256 MB is ok, but personally I would get at least 512 MB. You can find good deals on memory at http://www.tigerdirect.com. Also you only have 300 MHz Celeron processor which is pretty slow compared to todayÂ’s computers. IÂ’m not sure what you do with your computer, but you may need a faster processor depending on what you do with the computer. If itÂ’s generally for internet use and word processing there should be no problem with the processor speed. If you upgrade the memory and the computer still freezes I would just find a new computer. Once again you can find great deals on computers at Tiger.

Yes there is always the option to get a whole new computer, but maybe he cant afford one or doesnt want to get a new one.

So lets assume he is stuck with the one he has.

or get a new vga card like a 64mb it should help you out for your videos you watch. and more Ram 512mb will be all you need.

well.....

Well guyz .. thanx for da replies...
but as i said before.. the system used to freeze even in an Win 98 or Win 95 installation. << and i think they dont need 512 mb of RAM...

And what surprises me is.. it works fine with the USB ADSL modem disabled. << and that makes me suspect an IRQ conflict.

Regarding the usage of mah computer... it has been used for various applications and they run just fine [ ofcourse not as fast as on other 3.0 GHz processor machines.]

The only problem is with sound playback ..

Do you really think .. that it could be a memory problem ?

Upgrading to a new computer is alwayz a option but i just wanted to crack this issue .

Thanks once again for your replies :) any help would be appreciated.

That computer is so freakin' OLD. The mother board probably doesn't even support more then 256MB of PC100 or PC66.
The CPU in a PS2 is 4 times more powerful that that CPU.

Windows 95 or 98 is going to tax that thing of it's resources.

Damn, welcome to the year 2005. Scrap together $500 - $600 and build a simple modern technology PC.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom