Computer Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaljin

Beta member
Whenever I'm playing a game such as Dawn of War or Company of Heroes my computer freezes about 10 - 30 minutes into playing. It freezes and keyboard controls don't work, have to manually restart. When it freezes it usually lets out a high pitched static sound. I have no problem running any day to do programs just these games. I don't know what the problem is or what I can do.

P5N32-SLI-SE-Deluxe
NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2
Creative SB0350 Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU X6800
Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM

Whenever I'm playing a game such as Dawn of War or Company of Heroes my computer freezes about 10 - 30 minutes into playing. It freezes and keyboard controls don't work, have to manually restart. When it freezes it usually lets out a high pitched static sound. I have no problem running any day to do programs just these games. I don't know what the problem is or what I can do.

P5N32-SLI-SE-Deluxe
NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2
Creative SB0350 Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU X6800
Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM

I would lay odds on one of two things....

1.) Your system is over heating (d/l speedfan and post the temps)
2.) Something is not compatable with the games (sound card maybe?)

Post those temps when you get a chance

Gpu1: 54c
Gpu2: 69c
Cpu: 34c

I can only check the cpu in bios, I downloaded everest home edition but cpu temp doesn't show up.

I have a PCI slot fan pointed directly at my graphics card.

1.) You said GPU1 GPU2 (do you have to graphics cards?)

2.) Are those temps idle or under load with games?

3.) the PCI slot fans don't do much at all... Trust me on this one..

Sooooo.... If those are IDLE temps, you found your problem most likely.... I would take out the card, remove the heatsink/fan piece from it and then install an aftermarket heatsink/fan for card (use artic silver 5 thermal paste).... Make sure you remove the old paste with soft paper towel before applying new paste... Check out the Accelero X2 (if it fits your card)... I just bought one and it really knocked my GPU heat on my card down over 10+ Celcius.

Get back to me...

One more heat related thought:

1.) Do you have decent to good case AIR FLOW? Meaning... Do you have at least one intake fan and a few out take fans?

Other non-heat related possibilities:

1.) Dust... Get some compressed air and spray it out (including power supply)...

2.) Does your graphics card require a lot of power?? Is your power supply strong enough to support it during gaming?

Its a dual core graphics card

Those temps are at idle

I'm not exactly sure how much power it needs to run. But I have a 600 watt power supply

Is it difficult to replace the cards heatsink and fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom