Computer Fans Running With Computer Off - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Computer Fans Running With Computer Off

I have a friend whose computer fans run when he flips on the power strip. The computer is not off. When you try and turn the computer on, the button lights up and the monitor turns on as well, but then it just says "No Signal" and the fans continue to run. It's an Emachines T6420 I believe. I looked at all the capacitors and none of them appeared to be leaking nor did they appear to be bulging outward, however, I was tired when I looked at those. Anyone know what's going on here?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
I can't brain today

Default Re: Computer Fans Running With Computer Off

could need a new video card. Try taking it out if he has a stand alone one and trying a different one. If he only has on board video he may need a new motherboard

Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Bah, I thought that could have been the problem...it sucks because it's an integrated 6100. If he needs a new motherboard he'll need windows again...
Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
I can't brain today

There are some other things you could try, like removing the RAM, give it a clean, and place it back in, (if there are two sticks just put one back in as one may be faulty) RAM faults usually give strange symptoms like this
Old 07-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

I tried using a new power supply...at least with that the fans didn't automatically run without the computer being turned on. I then tried using a video card of mine, that didn't work. I tried the RAM as well, I took it out and cleaned it...still no luck. It seems like it's really messed up. The best bet might just be to get a new computer.
Closed Thread