Computer fails to see dvd drive and external hard drive. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

This computer Vaio running Vista suddenly failed to recognize the DVD drive. When you push the button the light lights but door will not open. Also, under computer the drive is not listed.

When you plug in the external hard drive, the computer sees the drive, loads the driver and in the device manager shows it is working properly but has a exclamation mark next to the name. However, when you look in computer the drive is not listed.

The C drive along with a USB stick work fine.

The computer has been cleaned using AVG and Superspyware. Also, various other aspects have been checked using Advanced System Care. The C drive is 90% full.

I would appreciate any help in this matter.

I guess no one has a clue.

It also will not recognized an external DVD player/writer. BTW, all of these were easily seen on another computer and worked fine.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Computer fails to see dvd drive and external hard drive.

Josh, you have been warned. Do not double/triple post. Someone will post if they know the problem. If no one has posted in 24 hours, you may double post, not 2 hours later.

(if that is not correct, will a mod please correct me? I'm not sure what the rules are on that)

Is this PATA or SATA? did you check that the connection is firm? your DVD-rom is seperate from your HDD.
__________________ Steam Account
Closed Thread