Computer emm...broke? lol - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Computer emm...broke? lol

Ok so my computer isnt working. I was playing world of warcraft and all of a sudden the computer froze and an extremely loud static noise was comingthu my speakers! I held in the power button, turned it off and then on again. Here is the number of things that are happening;

1) It turns on, lights on case and fans working. Black screen. No beep.
2) It turns on, all lights on, beeps, freezes on motherboard splash screen.
3) It turns on, all lights on, beeps, does the "ure computer was not shut down properly bla bla safe mode, start normally" freezes.
4) Same as above, freezes on loads vista with the green bar.

I have no idea wots going on, ive checked all leads are plugged in correctly etc. It just did this, i wasnt messing with the computer.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
I can't brain today
Default Re: Computer emm...broke? lol

The problem could be from a number of different things. First thing you would check is if your case is dirty. Take the cover off and clean out all of the dust, especially in the CPU cooling block. This clean will prevent overheating.

Next take out all of your RAM and give them a good clean with an eraser, rub the eraser on the gold contacts on the bottom of the RAM (both sides), this will clean up your RAM.

If after all of that you are still having troubles then it would be a faulty component

Old 08-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Computer emm...broke? lol

Seeing that you are running Vista your best option will be to try a restore point as Vista does not have a repair feature. If a restore point doesnt work you will be forced to reinstall.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread