Computer doesn't want to start up - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Computer doesn't want to start up

I have an old system (5 years old), an Asus CUSL2-C motherboard with a P3-733 MHz running Windows 2000. The power supply is less than a year old.

A few weeks ago, I went to turn on the computer and when I pressed the power button, the computer power turned on, fans going and everything, and then about 2 seconds later, it shut off, and the green light was just blinking. Pushing/holding the power and reset buttons did nothing. I had to flip the power supply power off and maybe 8 seconds later the light stopped blinking. After a few more tries with the same result, it randomly started up, put me in the BIOS setup with the message, "During the last boot up, your system hung for an improper CPU Internal Frequency Setting. Your system is now working in safe mode. To optimize the system performance and reliability, make sure the CPU internal frequency conforms to the specifications of your CPU."
It was not incorrect, and I am not overclocking. I exit out and it starts up fine. Now if I shut down at some point, it doesn't want to start back up until it decides I've waited long enough I guess. I can simply restart all I want with no problem. I tried replacing the motherboard battery and that didn't work. I was in the process of trying to update/flash the BIOS but I couldn't figure that out, and now it has been over a week and it hasn't started up. I'm thinking it is dead.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-08-2006, 04:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

could be dead but also the bios flash could have gone wrong if it hasn't booted up since then. you could try getting a replacement BIOS but that could be difficult, costly and might not even work.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I never actually got to flash the BIOS. I couldn't figure out how to do it, as it said it must be done in DOS (I've never done that before). Anyway, it is the same problem as before, just that before it started up after a few hours of trying; now it's been about 11 days with no startup. I guess I should start looking for a new motherboard.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

it seems that it probably is the motherboard at fault unless it is designed to react to particular errors in the manner you have described. before you get a new motherboard i would test the memory in another computer and if possible the cpu but that would be pretty annoying to do.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

To be honest, I was going to get a whole new computer in a couple months, but it looks like I'll be getting it a little sooner than planned. I was just hoping to salvage this one. Ah well. Thanks for the advice.

On a side note, a suspicious coincidence is that I recently moved, and it hasn't started up since I set my computer back up after unpacking.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

ahhhh, either it was somehow static damaged during the move or something has come loose

Closed Thread