Computer doesn't want to start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brine

Solid State Member
I have an old system (5 years old), an Asus CUSL2-C motherboard with a P3-733 MHz running Windows 2000. The power supply is less than a year old.

A few weeks ago, I went to turn on the computer and when I pressed the power button, the computer power turned on, fans going and everything, and then about 2 seconds later, it shut off, and the green light was just blinking. Pushing/holding the power and reset buttons did nothing. I had to flip the power supply power off and maybe 8 seconds later the light stopped blinking. After a few more tries with the same result, it randomly started up, put me in the BIOS setup with the message, "During the last boot up, your system hung for an improper CPU Internal Frequency Setting. Your system is now working in safe mode. To optimize the system performance and reliability, make sure the CPU internal frequency conforms to the specifications of your CPU."
It was not incorrect, and I am not overclocking. I exit out and it starts up fine. Now if I shut down at some point, it doesn't want to start back up until it decides I've waited long enough I guess. I can simply restart all I want with no problem. I tried replacing the motherboard battery and that didn't work. I was in the process of trying to update/flash the BIOS but I couldn't figure that out, and now it has been over a week and it hasn't started up. I'm thinking it is dead.

Any thoughts?

I never actually got to flash the BIOS. I couldn't figure out how to do it, as it said it must be done in DOS (I've never done that before). Anyway, it is the same problem as before, just that before it started up after a few hours of trying; now it's been about 11 days with no startup. I guess I should start looking for a new motherboard. :)

To be honest, I was going to get a whole new computer in a couple months, but it looks like I'll be getting it a little sooner than planned. I was just hoping to salvage this one. Ah well. Thanks for the advice.

On a side note, a suspicious coincidence is that I recently moved, and it hasn't started up since I set my computer back up after unpacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom