Computer doesn't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpedient

In Runtime
Ok the specs are in my sig...

This computer is almost 2 years old and I am seeing some signs of it being dead *lol*

running windows 7 (i think not important because it doesnt even go to the bios screen)

Symptoms included:
1. In the last month, when I turn on my computer, it doesn't turn on immediately and go to windows, but instead, it restarts for at least 5 times and then it goes to a "good state"... (take note that it does not go to the BIOS screen in the 1st 5 restarts) after that can I only use my computer, im not restarting because it i restart, it happens again...

2. Now, when I turn on my computer, it doesnt go to the BIOS and restarts over and over again... no display, no hard drive activity (referring to the light)...

I reseated the video card, the 2 memory cards, then I tried to fire it up, but to no avail, it gets the same thing... is my mobo broken? or is it another hardware?

sorry for my english, im not good at it...

please help me techies out there! any information will be greatly appreciated...

It's probably a bad component on the motherboard.

If I were you, and I really wanted to fix that motherboard, I would start by checking the capacitors and replacing any that look even slightly off.
Then I would reflow every solder point on the board that looks discolored/dirty/not super shiny.

After that, I would pour some liquid rosin flux over the Northbridge, and southbridge, make sure that it has a nice coat on the underside, and then heat it up with a pen torch or reflow station.

This will most likely fix your issue, but it's sort of hard to guess at what the problem is by your description.

If a computer won't boot, and you've tested each ram stick individually as well as together, then the problem is likely failing hardware on the board itself. You can pay someone to perform this maintenance on the board for around $150, but it's cheaper just to buy a new motherboard.

Of course I don't know because I'm not looking at the motherboard. It could just be something simple. I would suspect that during the first 5 reboots one of the capacitors isn't holding a correct charge, and it takes a few restarts to get it to hold the correct charge. This is a guess though, I don't know.

Try booting it up with bare essentials. Take the hard drive and cd/dvd rom off. So you only have memory and GFX card. See if it works.

As Rich said, try putting one memory chip in at a time. Put one in, if it works ok, take it out, put the other one on. If none of them works, they are either not the problem, or they can both be dead.

Make sure all the Power Supply cables are securely connected.

Have you re-seated the CPU as you mention you have re-seated nearly all the components apart from the CPU?

Also do you get any beeping noises from your PC? Normally you would get a single beep to indicate that the BIOS has successfully completed and a different number if there is a problem and the number of beeps can indicate what is wrong.

@RichM499 i cant do what you asked me because i dont wanna mess with the board... haha! ill prolly get a technician to help me...

@MindoverMaster i unplugged all the unnecessary components like hard drive and dvd-rom, and only 1 mem stick, its the same result, and also... the bios are saying that "overclock failure" but i didnt overclock anything...

@Fazza i didnt reseated the cpu, because im scared to remove it, (i had an experience in which i take off the heatsink, when i returned it, the cpu is not cooling properly)...

all in all thanks for the info, if you have any more suggestions, please do so...

for the meantime im planning to take my mobo to a technician...

What power supply are you using?
It sounds like a motherboard or a power supply issue to me. If a technician couldn't give you a good answer as to what the problem is he was a ****ty technician.

It sounds like a motherboard or a power supply issue to me. If a technician couldn't give you a good answer as to what the problem is he was a ****ty technician.

I agree. It's easy to check if a motherboard is knackered by checking the components in a reference machine or vice versa.

yes it's a ****ty technician allright, haha! i have a 450w power supply, it's not generic but i just couldn't remember the name of the brand, it has 2 jumbo fans, on the bottom and of course on the side where it will blow out...

I agree. It's easy to check if a motherboard is knackered by checking the components in a reference machine or vice versa.

what do you mean? :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom